Re: Cushing Model 40

  • Dean J. Splittgerber
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
      CSP will problably find out that it is cheaper to lease or buy a used
      trackmobile or modifly one of there Loaders. The Model 40 hasn't ran
      since 2000. God only knows what kind of condition that thing is in.
      Back in 03 I was down there one evening lighting it up with flash
      bulbs. The Cab door and cab windows were open. It deffinitely had seen
      better times. The people at cushing are good people. They know that
      the Model 40 is a rarity so hopefull it gets preserved and not scraped
      or sold to some other outfit that ends up cutting it up. It
      deffinitely would look nice in front of my house w/flowers around it.
      Deano

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "charlesvosburgh"
      <crvosburgh@c...> wrote:

      > Hi Gino; I guess I,m on this group finaly. I got to take some photos
      > of the Cushing loco friday. Jim Louchs took me over and showed me
      the
      > engine. He said that it might be moved to Cobleskill Stone Products
      > for their plant. It still runs but is in rough shape, the stone
      quarry
      > is a harsh work area for any equipment. A foreman said that the loco
      > was from Buffalo but didn't say who owned it. Both Jim and the
      foreman
      > used to operate it when they used it. Thanks for helping me get on
      > line with this group. Charlie
    • Dean R. Pausley
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
        OK Gino, make the phone call, ask Cushing to donate it to the FJGR Society. Then you can rebuild it so Deano can put flowers around it and the rest of us can just come over and drive it. I assume Deano will be putting  it on tracks that will  go completely around  his yard and neighborhood. We can name it the D(eano)&G(ino) Shortline RR.
        Gosh this is fun, spending other people's money.
        Dean R. Pausley
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
          I was thinking of buying it to run on the 20 acres my mom owns outside of
          Johnstown...................

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
            Well make an offer; they might take it. You'd both be happy (but what about
            the rest of your family decision sharers?)

            PKL

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
              Well one of you buy it before it too disappears from the area forever.
              Owning a locomotive will put you in with the big league collectors.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                Message
                Sounds like fun to me!  Heck, we'll put it on the 50 feet of track near Broadalbin station and give
                rides for 50 cents!!!  A real short ride at that!!!

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                  It can likely be had for the price of a good snowmobile. When the Conway
                  Scenic purchased No. 15, a 44 tonner, from the Maine Central a corporation
                  was set up, shares sold to raise the funds and the rest is history. It
                  might look good trimmed up in traction orange.

                  The city of Gloversville might be amenable to replacing a track between
                  South Main St and West Spring on which an operation similar to Rich's
                  Syracuse train could bring shoppers from the south end to the city center.
                  The corporation could then buy up a bushel bag of tokens and issue them for
                  transportation. Is anyone who actually lives in Gloversville or Johnstown
                  on this list? The corporation would need a caretaker and business manager.

                  PKL

                  >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Cushing Model 40
                  >Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:04:43 -0500
                  >
                  >Sounds like fun to me! Heck, we'll put it on the 50 feet of track near
                  >Broadalbin station and give
                  >rides for 50 cents!!! A real short ride at that!!!
                  >
                  >Gino

                • Stephen G. Myers
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                    The Shelburne Falls Railway Museum had asked for this locomotive but had
                    no luck.

                    Steve
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                      We're suggesting paying for it. A corporation might solve the problem if no
                      one can be persuaded to become a locomotive owner. One of us could join the
                      ranks of Nelson Blount and Ross Rowland; think of the possibilities -
                      divorce, banishment from the neighborhood, zoning board assessments, kids
                      from all over town in your backyard to ring the bell or sound the horn,
                      increased liability insurance. I have been thinking of getting a motor car
                      and doing it up in the traction orange paint scheme.

                      PKL

                      >From: "Stephen G. Myers" <Knixrule1@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Cushing Model 40
                      >Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:25:03 -0400
                      >
                      >The Shelburne Falls Railway Museum had asked for this locomotive but had
                      >no luck.
                      >
                      >Steve
                    • charlesvosburgh
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                        Check out page 28 of Model Railroader Cyclopedia, could that be
                        Cushing's. The foreman said it came from Buffalo. The photos I took
                        match the heavy underframe. I will bring them to the next meeting
                        along with car # csxt 920685 and see if anyone knows what it's used
                        for. Charlie