Re: Cushing Model 40

  • Gino DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
      Welcome to the group Charlie! Thanks for the Cushing info! I just picked up a
      TRAINS magazine from 1965 and it shows the Cushing loco in its old paint job just
      arrived in Cranesville. I will scan it and post it to the West Shore Page!

      For those interested, Charlie is a member of our group that meets in Gloversville on
      the last Weds. of the month. He is also the Highway Super for the Town of Palatine.
      So if you've got any questions on keeping the roads in shape in Montgomery
      County, Charlie is the guy to ask!

      Gino

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "charlesvosburgh" <crvosburgh@c...> wrote:

      > Hi Gino; I guess I,m on this group finaly. I got to take some photos
      > of the Cushing loco friday. Jim Louchs took me over and showed me the
      > engine. He said that it might be moved to Cobleskill Stone Products
      > for their plant. It still runs but is in rough shape, the stone quarry
      > is a harsh work area for any equipment. A foreman said that the loco
      > was from Buffalo but didn't say who owned it. Both Jim and the foreman
      > used to operate it when they used it. Thanks for helping me get on
      > line with this group. Charlie
    • Dean J. Splittgerber
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
        CSP will problably find out that it is cheaper to lease or buy a used
        trackmobile or modifly one of there Loaders. The Model 40 hasn't ran
        since 2000. God only knows what kind of condition that thing is in.
        Back in 03 I was down there one evening lighting it up with flash
        bulbs. The Cab door and cab windows were open. It deffinitely had seen
        better times. The people at cushing are good people. They know that
        the Model 40 is a rarity so hopefull it gets preserved and not scraped
        or sold to some other outfit that ends up cutting it up. It
        deffinitely would look nice in front of my house w/flowers around it.
        Deano

        <crvosburgh@c...> wrote:

        > Hi Gino; I guess I,m on this group finaly. I got to take some photos
        > of the Cushing loco friday. Jim Louchs took me over and showed me
        the
        > engine. He said that it might be moved to Cobleskill Stone Products
        > for their plant. It still runs but is in rough shape, the stone
        quarry
        > is a harsh work area for any equipment. A foreman said that the loco
        > was from Buffalo but didn't say who owned it. Both Jim and the
        foreman
        > used to operate it when they used it. Thanks for helping me get on
        > line with this group. Charlie
      • Dean R. Pausley
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
          OK Gino, make the phone call, ask Cushing to donate it to the FJGR Society. Then you can rebuild it so Deano can put flowers around it and the rest of us can just come over and drive it. I assume Deano will be putting  it on tracks that will  go completely around  his yard and neighborhood. We can name it the D(eano)&G(ino) Shortline RR.
          Gosh this is fun, spending other people's money.
          Dean R. Pausley
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
            I was thinking of buying it to run on the 20 acres my mom owns outside of
            Johnstown...................

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
              Well make an offer; they might take it. You'd both be happy (but what about
              the rest of your family decision sharers?)

              PKL

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
                Well one of you buy it before it too disappears from the area forever.
                Owning a locomotive will put you in with the big league collectors.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Message
                  Sounds like fun to me!  Heck, we'll put it on the 50 feet of track near Broadalbin station and give
                  rides for 50 cents!!!  A real short ride at that!!!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                    It can likely be had for the price of a good snowmobile. When the Conway
                    Scenic purchased No. 15, a 44 tonner, from the Maine Central a corporation
                    was set up, shares sold to raise the funds and the rest is history. It
                    might look good trimmed up in traction orange.

                    The city of Gloversville might be amenable to replacing a track between
                    South Main St and West Spring on which an operation similar to Rich's
                    Syracuse train could bring shoppers from the south end to the city center.
                    The corporation could then buy up a bushel bag of tokens and issue them for
                    transportation. Is anyone who actually lives in Gloversville or Johnstown
                    on this list? The corporation would need a caretaker and business manager.

                    PKL

                    >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Cushing Model 40
                    >Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:04:43 -0500
                    >
                    >Sounds like fun to me! Heck, we'll put it on the 50 feet of track near
                    >Broadalbin station and give
                    >rides for 50 cents!!! A real short ride at that!!!
                    >
                    >Gino

                  • Stephen G. Myers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                      The Shelburne Falls Railway Museum had asked for this locomotive but had
                      no luck.

                      Steve
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2005
                        We're suggesting paying for it. A corporation might solve the problem if no
                        one can be persuaded to become a locomotive owner. One of us could join the
                        ranks of Nelson Blount and Ross Rowland; think of the possibilities -
                        divorce, banishment from the neighborhood, zoning board assessments, kids
                        from all over town in your backyard to ring the bell or sound the horn,
                        increased liability insurance. I have been thinking of getting a motor car
                        and doing it up in the traction orange paint scheme.

                        PKL

                        >From: "Stephen G. Myers" <Knixrule1@...>
                        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Cushing Model 40
                        >Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:25:03 -0400
                        >
                        >The Shelburne Falls Railway Museum had asked for this locomotive but had
                        >no luck.
                        >
                        >Steve
                      • charlesvosburgh
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                          Check out page 28 of Model Railroader Cyclopedia, could that be
                          Cushing's. The foreman said it came from Buffalo. The photos I took
                          match the heavy underframe. I will bring them to the next meeting
                          along with car # csxt 920685 and see if anyone knows what it's used
                          for. Charlie