[Fwd: Please Read This]

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:Please Read This
      Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:18:36 EST
      From:FARNORTHPOLLIN@...
      To:jrbaird@...
      CC:rwb704@...

      -----

      SCENE 1- CREDIT CARDS

        A friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker.

       After the workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open, and

      thought to himself, "Funny, I thought I locked the locker.  Hmmmmm."

       He dressed and just flipped the wallet to make sure all was in order.

      Everything looked okay - all cards were in place.

       A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of $14.000!

      He called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that

      he did not make the transactions.

       Customer care personnel verified that there was no mistake in the system

      and asked if his card had been stolen.  "No," he said, but then took out

      his wallet, pulled out the credit card, and yep - you guessed it - a switch

      had been made.  An expired similar credit card from the same bank was in

      the wallet.

      The thief broke into his locker at the gym and switched cards.

      Verdict: The credit card issuer said since he did not report the card

      missing earlier, he would have to pay the amount owed to them.

      How much did he have to pay for items he did not buy? $9,000!  Why were

      there no calls made to verify the amount swiped?  Small amounts rarely

      trigger a "warning bell" with some credit card companies.   It just so

      happens that all the small amounts added up to a big one!

      SCENE 2

      A man at a local restaurant paid for his meal with his credit card.  The

      bill for the meal came, he signed it, and the waitress folded the receipt

      and passed the credit card along.  Usually, he would just take it and place

      it in his wallet or pocket.

      Funny enough, though, he actually took a look at the card and, lo and

      behold, it was the expired card of another person.

      He called the waitress, and she looked  perplexed.  She took it back,

      apologized, and hurried back to the counter under the watchful eye of the

      man.  All the waitress did while walking to the counter was wave the wrong

      expired card to the counter cashier, and the counter cashier immediately

      looked down and took out the real card.  No exchange of words - nothing!

      She took it and came back to the man with an apology.

      Verdict: Make sure the credit cards in your wallet are yours.

      Check the name on the card every time you sign for something and/or the

      card is taken away for even a short period of time.

      Many people just take back the credit card without even looking at it,

      thinking that it has to be theirs.

       FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, DEVELOP THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH

      TIME IT IS RETURNED TO YOU AFTER A TRANSACTION!

        SCENE 3

      Yesterday I went into a pizza restaurant to pick up an order that I had

      called in.  I paid by using my Visa Check Card which, of course, is linked

      directly to my checking account.  The young man behind the counter took my

      card, swiped it, then laid it flat on the counter as he waited for the

      approval, which! is pretty standard procedure.

      While he waited, he picked up his cell phone and started dialing.  I

      noticed the phone because it is the same model I have, but nothing seemed

      out of the ordinary.

       Then I heard a click that sounded like my phone sounds when I take a

      picture.  He then gave me back my card, but kept  the phone in his hand as

      if he was still pressing buttons.

      Meanwhile, I'm thinking: I wonder what he is taking a picture of,

      oblivious to what was really going on.  It then dawned on me: the only

      thing there was my credit card, so now I'm paying close attention to what

      he is doing.  He set his phone on the counter, leaving it open.  About five

      seconds later, I heard the chime that tells you that the picture has  been

      saved.

       Now I'm standing there struggling with the fact that this boy just took a

      picture of my credit card.  Yes, he played it off well, because had we not

      had the same kind of phone, I probably would never have known what

      happened.>

       Needless to say, I immediately canceled that card as I was walking out of

      the pizza parlor.

      All I am saying is, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Whenever

      you are using your credit cards, take caution and don't be careless.

      Notice who is standing near you and what they are doing when you use your

      card.  Be aware of phones, because many have a camera phone these days.

      When you are in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress brings your card and

      receipt for you to sign, make sure you scratch the number off.  Some

      restaurants are using only the last four digits, but a lot of them are

      still putting the whole thing on there.

       I have already been a victim of credit card fraud and, believe me, it is

      not fun.  The truth is that they can get you even when you are careful, but

      don't make it easy for them.

        FORWARD THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN THINK OF.