Re: [FJGRailroad] LF&D

  • Richard Finn
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
      Very nice, indeed. I learned a new thing today. Thanks, guys.

      Dick

      On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Gino's Railpage wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > I just uploaded a new page to http://ginosrailpage.com.  It deals with
      > the Little Falls & Dolgeville Railroad.  Nothing spectacular, but
      > there are some neat postcards that I have collected and some items
      > that Joe Klapkowski was nice enough to let me borrow.  Check it out if
      > you get a chance.  If anyone on the list has any items on the LF&D,
      > I'd love to add them to the page.  Pictures are very hard to come by
      > for this neat little Mohawk Valley short-line!
      >
      > Gino
      > --
      > www.ginosrailpage.com
      > www.fjgrr.com
      >

      > Visit Gino's Railpage at
      > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
      > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      > Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
      > State at
      > http://ny.existingstations.com/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
      > <l.gif>
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Service.

    • Dean R. Pausley
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
        Gino:
        Any thoughts on where I could take the digital and get some current
        shots from Rt. 5. I head out through the valley a couple of times a month
        between Schenectady and then Rome area.

        Dean P.
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
          I have some hardware and some postcards you can add, if you don't already
          have them.

          PKL

          >From: Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] LF&D
          >Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:38:53 -0500
          >
          >Hi guys,
          >
          >I just uploaded a new page to http://ginosrailpage.com It deals with
          >the Little Falls & Dolgeville Railroad. Nothing spectacular, but
          >there are some neat postcards that I have collected and some items
          >that Joe Klapkowski was nice enough to let me borrow. Check it out if
          >you get a chance. If anyone on the list has any items on the LF&D,
          >I'd love to add them to the page. Pictures are very hard to come by
          >for this neat little Mohawk Valley short-line!
          >
          >Gino
          >--
          >www.ginosrailpage.com
          >www.fjgrr.com
        • Howard Reed
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005

            Dean:

            To see where the old trestle was, from Rt. 5, just east of Little Falls, take Rt. 169 south or east, (not sure which it is) Right after you get on 169, look for an exit ramp to River Street (a left I think). The ramp road will take you down to River Street. You will now be near the base of a rock ledge. Also the old NYC main is right there. Kind of drive back and forth and study the rock ledge, you might be able to find remains of the old trestle. I can not give more details because it has been many years since I was down in there. I am not sure what is left. I do remember the old trestle was still there up to at least the early 1970. However I do not think I have been there since then.

            When I was a kid I was fascinated by River Street because further down the road there were ruins of some old factories that made me think of ancient Rome or something. I do not know if they are still there. The whole area had kind of a haunted feeling. Of course one other fact added to that feeling. The base of the rock wall on which the old trestle was located was the location on the Central’s ‘Big Ten Curve’. (I think that was the name anyway) It was the location of one of the worst train wrecks in the states history!!! In the forties, a NYC passenger train, pulled by a Hudson, went around the curve to fast, and flew off the tracks and smashed into that rock wall. The passenger cars piled up behind it in a huge mess. I believe the death toll was well over 50. I have the whole story in a book some place. I will look it up some time and post more.

            Howard Reed

            Oneonta, NY

            reedhe@...

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
              Further on the LF&D. I was out there two weekends ago looking for remnants.
              You can go into Little Falls and work your way down to the tracks on the
              east end and see what remains of the cutting up the hill. Might be better
              to bring some walking shoes and walk along there. The new highway seems to
              have obliterated things near the top of the hill. If you use the NYState
              atlas you can get off the main road on the east side, go down to Ingham
              Mills Station and see whats left of the Crum Creek trestle. I took some
              pictures but have not uploaded them yet. Hilts road will get you into the
              Ransom Creek area. The railroad was pretty much cross lots so you have to
              go in then back out and up to the next crossroad.

              We were doing antique shops too so we undid all our daylight while in the
              old Mill complex in Dolgeville. There are interesting shops in the river
              side shops at Little Falls, south of the CSX tracks. One has several
              USGSurvey maps from many years back showing the locations of many long gone
              Adirondack lines. Generally $8 or $10 each.

              If you watch eBay, and more importantly, the used book sites you may find a
              copy of Lucinda Parker's books on the LF&D and another on the Salisbury
              line.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
                The Northville library has a copy. I contacted the author some years back
                and she had sold them all.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                  Message
                  Thanks Joe!  I like your depot card the best!  I've never seen that anywhere!!!

                  >the Little Falls & Dolgeville Railroad.  Nothing spectacular, but
                  >there are some neat postcards that I have collected and some items
                  >that Joe Klapkowski was nice enough to let me borrow.  Check it out if
                  >you get a chance.  If anyone on the list has any items on the LF&D,
                  >I'd love to add them to the page.  Pictures are very hard to come by
                  >for this neat little Mohawk Valley short-line!
                  >
                  >Gino
                  >--
                  >www.ginosrailpage.com
                  >www.fjgrr.com

                  Visit Gino's Railpage at

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                    Dean,

                    I don't know where you would park, but I've seen current shots of the
                    rock-cut
                    On the internet, so there must be a way to get there. The area of the
                    Gulf-Curve
                    And where the line went out of the valley can be seen when you cross the
                    Mohawk
                    From South Little Falls on Route 169. 169 also takes you up to
                    Dolgeville.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                      Hi All,

                      Neat pictures Gino!

                      If you got to the TerraServer map using the link below the LF&D is still
                      present although it's marked as New York Central. Follow the line to
                      the east and use the "east" and "north" tabs to get to the next maps.

                      http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=639&Y=5956&W=3&qs=%7clittle+falls%7c%7c

                      The line ends at a wye in Salisbury Center but there is an abandoned
                      line that extends to Irondale.

                      You can also change from topographical maps to aerial photos by using
                      the tab in to upper right corner above the viewing window.

                      If anyone would like, I can download the maps or aerial photos and
                      stitch them together for one continuos map of the line.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                        Thanks for showing me a different vantage. The aerial photos show the
                        location of the LF&D quite well.

                        After following the Jerseyfield RR all the way up to Jerseyfield Lake, my
                        mind went to the books Trappers of New York and it's recent reprinting as
                        "Nick Stoner and Nat Foster". If you want a feel for what that country was
                        like 200 years ago and what men experienced in it this book is a must read.
                        It will certainly give you a feel for life in the lower Adirondacks, the
                        area envisioned as holding great financial promise for the builders of the
                        FJ&G and the LF&D. There is also out there a biography of Alfred Dolge
                        wherein his life and aspirations are defined. At one time there was a
                        desire by both the FJ&G and Dolge to extend their railroads to Canada Lake.
                        Dolge, to secure his plan, bought most of the land around the lake, planning
                        to create a planned community, resort area. That's kind of what the Canada
                        Lake community became with some exclusivity in camp ownership in early
                        years. As a kid my recollection is Canada Lake was the better Lake between
                        the Carogas and Pine. Peck's was private, except we would swim in it from
                        the Bleeker side (an arduous bike trek, easier to go to VanDenbergs or the
                        Mayfield bridge)

                        My recollections of Dolge's plan must have come from my newspaper research
                        as I can't put my hands on a book here that has that information.

                        The Stoner book is a fascinating read and may entice you to read Jeptha R.
                        Simms other books. There are none better on their subjects.

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                          Hi Paul,

                          Interesting how much of this line shows up so clearly visible after
                          being pulled up 40 years ago.

                          Being in Ontario I can only think of one line that was partly built to
                          attract tourists into Algonquin Park, something that was common along
                          the Mohawk River and lower Adirondacks. That would have been a pretty
                          impressive way to leave Little Falls.

                          Paul :-)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 24, 2005
                            Looks like the Jerseyfield RR went on to Jerseyfield lake (Boy what a
                            revalation!) and made at least one switchback to get there. There was a wye
                            at Salisbury Center on the NYC that would have permitted the JRR and the
                            LF&D to turn thier engines. Oddly enough there is no telephone at Salisbury
                            Center to call signal station 24 in Little Falls for train orders. I think
                            that is a little odd given that Salisbury Center would have been a terminal
                            . If they interchaged with the Jerseyfield at that point somebody would have
                            to get permission over the wye (JRR if the wye belonged to NYC or NYC if the
                            wye belonged to JRR) but there is no mention of the JRR in my 4/28/35 NYC
                            ETT.
                            Now I am going to have to go into the archives and figure out what the JRR
                            was all about.

                            >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] LF&D Map
                            >Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:36:46 -0500
                            >
                            >Hi All,
                            >
                            >Neat pictures Gino!
                            >
                            >If you got to the TerraServer map using the link below the LF&D is still
                            >present although it's marked as New York Central. Follow the line to
                            >the east and use the "east" and "north" tabs to get to the next maps.
                            >
                            >http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=639&Y=5956&W=3&qs=%7clittle+falls%7c%7c
                            >
                            >The line ends at a wye in Salisbury Center but there is an abandoned
                            >line that extends to Irondale.
                            >
                            >You can also change from topographical maps to aerial photos by using
                            >the tab in to upper right corner above the viewing window.
                            >
                            >If anyone would like, I can download the maps or aerial photos and
                            >stitch them together for one continuos map of the line.
                            >
                            >Paul :-)

                          • Dean R. Pausley
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 25, 2005
                              Howard:
                                         Thank you for the nice reply. It gives me a starting point next week.

                              Dean P.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
                                Hi guys,

                                Check out my LF&D page for a link to Lucinda M. Parker's website. There she has
                                posted a neat little booklet published by Alfred Dolge in 1900, on how
                                the LF&D bankrupted
                                him. Interesting stuff. It is titled "A History Of Crime." Also,
                                Lucinda will be forthcoming with details on how to order reprints of
                                her two books on the LF&D RR.

                                www.ginosrailpage.com
                                www.fjgrr.org
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
                                  Here's a quick link to get to the LF&D page...

                                  http://www.ginosrailpage.com/LFD/index.html

                                  www.ginosrailpage.com
                                  www.fjgrr.org