" High Green & The Bark Peelers"

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2005
      I got the book "High Green & The Bark Peelers", it was $25.00 after price
      and postage. Seems a lot to pay for a book from 1950 but look what we
      pay for DVD's? The book is in good enough shape, I'm sure if one wanted
      to wait, they may stumble upon it at a used book store for much less, but
      may never get one either. The great thing about the book is that is
      about my favorite railroad, how they run it, and talking with the men who
      ran it. Main line freights in Lowell or Hillsboro branch meanderings,
      it's all there, even some locomotive numbers that we have seen under B&M
      blue in the 1970's. No photos, just the story of B&M railroading in
      1950. The sad part of the book is that it makes you long for that nicer
      and simpler America and your heart aches for that period of railroading,
      B&M railroading at it's best that I was just born too late to see. It
      brings me back to boyhood and the dreams that I had while watching those
      freights rumble through Scotia, New York on the B&M main and watching all
      the different rolling stock from far away places, far away names, and
      great railroad names that are now long gone.

      Steve