RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: GE Locos

  • MD Horton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6, 2005
      I have heard that GE did build road locomotives for export only. As a
      result they have always had servicing facilities in many foreign countries
      which has been a great asset to their present export business.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
        Hi Guys, On the topic of GE locomotives built in Schenectady. Take a
        look at this link below. I thought these were all gone. But one did
        get saved. Metro North was useing these up until 98' and they just
        cut them all up. I am sure Mr. Larner has see these on his previous
        trips to NYC.

        http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/nj15.htm

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
        wrote:
        > Go to "northeastrails.railfan.net/diesel130" and follow through
        the prompts
        > to find photos of many of GE's 65 ton industrial switchers.
        >
        > ANother unit but a case I found where the locomotives were made in
        > Schenectady with only GE as the manufacturer: "Eighty-three ALCo-
        GE MRS-1's
        > were produced the following year. So although these 83 units were
        built at
        > ALCo's main works in Schenectady, NY, the sole builder of record
        is the
        > General Electric Company. ALCo handled the project as a GE
        subcontractor,
        > and, with the exception of their ALCo Model 244 Diesel prime
        movers, were
        > never under any ALCo warranty or service obligation... as many
        post-military
        > owner/operators sadly discovered after acquiring these units
        through
        > government surplus sales."
        >
        > PKL
        >
        > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
        > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: GE Locos
        > >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:37:50 -0600
        > >
        > >I know of ALCO-GE's joint creations, but this ad said "Built in
        > >Schenectady,"
        > >And as far as I know a 65 tonner was not an ALCO-GE creation...
        > >
        > >Gino

      • Stephen G. Myers
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
          Ha Ha, it is stored in South Buffalo, now I will have something to go see
          when the snow melts here.

          Steve

          .

          " <dsplittgerber_railfan@...> writes>

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
            If you saw Railpace last month you saw my photo of the dismal end of E-10bs.
            Here's a little factoid for you. One of theE10bs had brand new electrical
            (Resistors?) in the boxes from the manufacturer piled waist high in the cab.
            These were the long radiator like things that were under the hood.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
              Yes those three units sat at the North Harmon yard until this fall. Heard
              from someone they were cut up there. Only a few FL9s, some Bud cars, a
              former NYC car and some odds and ends left up there today.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 17, 2005
                There is nothing left in the east yard except for five starships..
                everything else has been cut up.