A little help on memory, please

  • oleroadslug
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
      While we had property on Sacandaga in the Town of Northampton; our
      dear friend and neighbor, the late Donald Thumb had a tannery mill I
      believe in Gloversville. I was too young to remember exactly where
      it was, but I remember they did a lot of hide tanning and finishing.

      One of his sons Jim, I remember saying to me that the RR boxcars and
      some semi's were horrid to go into because of not only the chmicals,
      but the curring of the hides. Some hides had annimal remmnants yet,
      and those remans went to a plant somewhere for processing. Real bad
      in summer.

      After he passed away, our families remained good friends. He used to
      take me out in his Chris Craft cruiser and give me A&P Black Cherry
      soda. The other hand had a rod for the occassional walleye. My
      parents eventually purchased their home for their residence, and our
      original farm house was for the kids and guests.

      Without regressing more, does anyone know or recollect the location
      of such mill? It wasn't all that big. Thumb leather and/or tanning.

      Regards,

      Robert Schoneman
      Appleton, WI
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
        Names: I went to grade school with a Daniel Thumb. He had several siblings
        I believe but I remember a brother a year older named David. They lived in
        Gloversville on the west side, Highland Terrace.

        PKL