RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
      The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
      sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
      on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
      park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
      creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
      from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
      the sewage plant beds were ripe.
      PKL

    • MD Horton
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
        Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

        MDH

        The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
        sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
        on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
        park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
        creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
        from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
        the sewage plant beds were ripe.
        PKL

        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
        >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
        >
        >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
        >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
        >there
        >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
        >don't
        >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
        >
        >Gino

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dick Ryall
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
          Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

          >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
          >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
          >there
          >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
          >don't
          >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
          >
          >Gino

          The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
        • Dick Ryall
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
            fjg1870 wrote:

            >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
            ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
            >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
            >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
            >noticed one.
            >
            >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
            >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
            >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
            >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
            >Street after having lived there about a year.
            >
            >Walt
            >

            >Visit Gino's Railpage at
            >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
            >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
            >http://ny.existingstations.com/
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........