RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: GE Locos

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
      I know of ALCO-GE's joint creations, but this ad said "Built in
      Schenectady,"
      And as far as I know a 65 tonner was not an ALCO-GE creation...

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
        I believe I have read that GE did build some diesel electric locomotives at
        Schenectady. The Alco-GE thing came later as Alco production moved from
        steam to diesels to reflect the ALco building of the loco and GE's supplying
        all of the electrical components. I am near certain that GE produced early
        diesels at Schenectady under their own name. During the war Alco was
        restricted from building road locomotives to only switch engines by the war
        production board.

        GE built no road diesel electric units until the mid fifties and 60 and 65
        ton switchers for the railroad industry. A note to the list of diesels
        constructed by GE is as follows: *Industrials: GE has built thousands of
        small industrial units in dozens of configurations and with several
        different engines. The 65 tonner refered to, seems to fall into this latter
        grouping.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
          Go to "northeastrails.railfan.net/diesel130" and follow through the prompts
          to find photos of many of GE's 65 ton industrial switchers.

          ANother unit but a case I found where the locomotives were made in
          Schenectady with only GE as the manufacturer: "Eighty-three ALCo-GE MRS-1's
          were produced the following year. So although these 83 units were built at
          ALCo's main works in Schenectady, NY, the sole builder of record is the
          General Electric Company. ALCo handled the project as a GE subcontractor,
          and, with the exception of their ALCo Model 244 Diesel prime movers, were
          never under any ALCo warranty or service obligation... as many post-military
          owner/operators sadly discovered after acquiring these units through
          government surplus sales."

          PKL

          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: GE Locos
          >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:37:50 -0600
          >
          >I know of ALCO-GE's joint creations, but this ad said "Built in
          >Schenectady,"
          >And as far as I know a 65 tonner was not an ALCO-GE creation...
          >
          >Gino

        • MD Horton
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2005
            I have heard that GE did build road locomotives for export only. As a
            result they have always had servicing facilities in many foreign countries
            which has been a great asset to their present export business.

            Malcolm Horton

            I believe I have read that GE did build some diesel electric locomotives at
            Schenectady. The Alco-GE thing came later as Alco production moved from
            steam to diesels to reflect the ALco building of the loco and GE's
            supplying
            all of the electrical components. I am near certain that GE produced early
            diesels at Schenectady under their own name. During the war Alco was
            restricted from building road locomotives to only switch engines by the war
            production board.

            GE built no road diesel electric units until the mid fifties and 60 and 65
            ton switchers for the railroad industry. A note to the list of diesels
            constructed by GE is as follows: *Industrials: GE has built thousands of
            small industrial units in dozens of configurations and with several
            different engines. The 65 tonner refered to, seems to fall into this
            latter
            grouping.

            PKL

            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: GE Locos
            >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:37:50 -0600
            >
            >I know of ALCO-GE's joint creations, but this ad said "Built in
            >Schenectady,"
            >And as far as I know a 65 tonner was not an ALCO-GE creation...
            >
            >Gino

          • Dean J. Splittgerber
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
              Hi Guys, On the topic of GE locomotives built in Schenectady. Take a
              look at this link below. I thought these were all gone. But one did
              get saved. Metro North was useing these up until 98' and they just
              cut them all up. I am sure Mr. Larner has see these on his previous
              trips to NYC.

              http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/nj15.htm

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>

            • Stephen G. Myers
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
                Ha Ha, it is stored in South Buffalo, now I will have something to go see
                when the snow melts here.

                Steve

                .

                " <dsplittgerber_railfan@...> writes>

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
                  If you saw Railpace last month you saw my photo of the dismal end of E-10bs.
                  Here's a little factoid for you. One of theE10bs had brand new electrical
                  (Resistors?) in the boxes from the manufacturer piled waist high in the cab.
                  These were the long radiator like things that were under the hood.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 16, 2005
                    Yes those three units sat at the North Harmon yard until this fall. Heard
                    from someone they were cut up there. Only a few FL9s, some Bud cars, a
                    former NYC car and some odds and ends left up there today.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 17, 2005
                      There is nothing left in the east yard except for five starships..
                      everything else has been cut up.