RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
      If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
      there
      Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
      don't
      Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
        <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
        What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
        much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
        was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
        noticed one.

        I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
        plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
        building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
        summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
        Street after having lived there about a year.

        Walt
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
          The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
          sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
          on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
          park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
          creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
          from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
          the sewage plant beds were ripe.
          PKL

        • MD Horton
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
            Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

            MDH

            The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
            sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
            on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
            park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
            creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
            from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
            the sewage plant beds were ripe.
            PKL

            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
            >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
            >
            >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
            >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
            >there
            >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
            >don't
            >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
            >
            >Gino

            Visit Gino's Railpage at
            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            http://ny.existingstations.com/
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dick Ryall
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
              Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

              >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
              >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
              >there
              >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
              >don't
              >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
              >
              >Gino

              The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
            • Dick Ryall
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                fjg1870 wrote:

                >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                >noticed one.
                >
                >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                >Street after having lived there about a year.
                >
                >Walt
                >

                >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
                >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........