RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      There was nothing worse when lived on Broad St.,sitting down for dinner
      and breathing the odor from the tanneries on a hot day. Mark
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
        You would perhaps have found the worse place in Wesbrook Maine where Scott
        Paper had a sulfite mill. Or almost as bad today is the Ticonderoga mill in
        upstate NY. These mills are the lifeblood of their regions. If you're well
        off, build or buy your home some where else. You can still work there with
        modern transit (horse cars and trolleys initially). Only those who must
        lived near the mills. Why do folks want to drive these jobs away? The
        worst spot I can recall in the Gloversville/Johnstown area was Townsend Ave,
        near the Cayadutta Creek bridge. People actually lived in homes near the
        creek. I suppose it was the best they could afford. Too many people who
        have made it (or had it given to them or marry it) overlook these folks.
        This was an era before the welfare systems of sixties emerged. Today
        everyone is entitled to a nice home with a nice view.

        That's narrow, I know, OSHA and the EPA need to control the pollution that
        resulted in these conditions. That's when the properties started to regain
        value. Townsend Ave and the Broad Street (West end) of Gloversville are
        much bette today without Levor's and the rest of the leather industry that
        lessed the city with jobs and prosperity. Yes there were other issues.

        The Cayadutta was a sewer for the industry from the north end of
        Gloversville to the Mohawk. Nowhere along its banks were the homes more
        than marginal in value, just because of the stink. Those least able to
        lived in homes along the creek. Some different today.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
          If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
          there
          Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
          don't
          Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
            <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
            much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
            was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
            noticed one.

            I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
            plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
            building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
            summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
            Street after having lived there about a year.

            Walt
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
              The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
              sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
              on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
              park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
              creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
              from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
              the sewage plant beds were ripe.
              PKL

            • MD Horton
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
                Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

                MDH

                The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                PKL

                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
                >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
                >
                >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                >there
                >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                >don't
                >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                >
                >Gino

                Visit Gino's Railpage at
                Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                http://ny.existingstations.com/
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Dick Ryall
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                  Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

                  >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                  >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                  >there
                  >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                  >don't
                  >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                  >
                  >Gino

                  The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
                • Dick Ryall
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                    fjg1870 wrote:

                    >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                    ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                    >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                    >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                    >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                    >noticed one.
                    >
                    >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                    >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                    >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                    >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                    >Street after having lived there about a year.
                    >
                    >Walt
                    >

                    >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                    >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                    >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                    >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                    >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                    >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
                    >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........