RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      Message
      I was riding my scooter down Maple Ave. once and there was a hopper truck going to the glue factory.
      I kid you not, there was all sorts of animal-debris flying out of the truck and I was dodging it.  That was
      the last time I rode down Maple Ave. when not in an automobile!

      I remember when I first moved to Gloversville.  My friends and I would go to Perry Lanes and I'd be asking
      who passed gas.  I couldn't believe that there could be a smell like that sitting in the middle of town.  I
      think Kargs smelled worse though!

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
        There was nothing worse when lived on Broad St.,sitting down for dinner
        and breathing the odor from the tanneries on a hot day. Mark
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          You would perhaps have found the worse place in Wesbrook Maine where Scott
          Paper had a sulfite mill. Or almost as bad today is the Ticonderoga mill in
          upstate NY. These mills are the lifeblood of their regions. If you're well
          off, build or buy your home some where else. You can still work there with
          modern transit (horse cars and trolleys initially). Only those who must
          lived near the mills. Why do folks want to drive these jobs away? The
          worst spot I can recall in the Gloversville/Johnstown area was Townsend Ave,
          near the Cayadutta Creek bridge. People actually lived in homes near the
          creek. I suppose it was the best they could afford. Too many people who
          have made it (or had it given to them or marry it) overlook these folks.
          This was an era before the welfare systems of sixties emerged. Today
          everyone is entitled to a nice home with a nice view.

          That's narrow, I know, OSHA and the EPA need to control the pollution that
          resulted in these conditions. That's when the properties started to regain
          value. Townsend Ave and the Broad Street (West end) of Gloversville are
          much bette today without Levor's and the rest of the leather industry that
          lessed the city with jobs and prosperity. Yes there were other issues.

          The Cayadutta was a sewer for the industry from the north end of
          Gloversville to the Mohawk. Nowhere along its banks were the homes more
          than marginal in value, just because of the stink. Those least able to
          lived in homes along the creek. Some different today.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
            What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
            If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
            there
            Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
            don't
            Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
              <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
              much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
              was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
              noticed one.

              I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
              plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
              building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
              summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
              Street after having lived there about a year.

              Walt
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                PKL

              • MD Horton
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
                  Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

                  MDH

                  The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                  sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                  on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                  park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                  creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                  from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                  the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                  PKL

                  >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
                  >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
                  >
                  >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                  >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                  >there
                  >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                  >don't
                  >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                  >
                  >Gino

                  Visit Gino's Railpage at
                  Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                  http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                  http://ny.existingstations.com/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Dick Ryall
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                    Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

                    >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                    >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                    >there
                    >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                    >don't
                    >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                    >
                    >Gino

                    The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
                  • Dick Ryall
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                      fjg1870 wrote:

                      >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                      ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                      >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                      >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                      >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                      >noticed one.
                      >
                      >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                      >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                      >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                      >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                      >Street after having lived there about a year.
                      >
                      >Walt
                      >

                      >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                      >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                      >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                      >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                      >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                      >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
                      >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........