Milligan & Higgins

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      It appears they are very much in business at the Maple Avenue site
      Johnstown. And they still have an odor problem. Of course years ago noone
      who could do otherwise would buy land near a glue factory, tannery, railyard
      or wetland. Today, the land is bought cheap, the house is built, then you
      go to council then court to close down the industry because it is ruining
      your property value..

      If you do a google search for ["Milligan & Higgins" glue] you will develop a
      healthy respect for what the company does. They are the only manufacturers
      of hide glue in North America; considered the foremost experts on hide glue.

      It was an interesting education on the uses of their product.

      PKL
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        Saul,

        $150 is a lot for a book and I could never afford the price.  The reason the lady is selling it at this price is it's track record on Ebay.  I have seen it 3 times in the last few months and it's gone for over $150 each time!

        Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:10 PM
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sketches of Sacandaga Park

        I have a copy of this book that my mother picked up about 40 years ago when she was in the antique business. I had no idea that it was so valuable. The book has large very sharp photos probably made from glass plates. There is no copyright date, just that the publication was produced by the FJG publicity department. I would say the book is about 100 years old. At some time in the past Randy Decker said that these plates may have existed until 30-40 years ago. If you thread back through our postings there may be some information. I would say that $150.00 is a little pricey. Since the book is in the public domain, I could scan my copy and post the pictures without a copyright infringement.

        Saul

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

      • Saul Kalbfeld
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          Richard,
          What catagory was the book listed under in E-bay, and if you care to say, what was the item number? Gee, I could scan mine to save the pictures and turn up some $$$ for my model railroad.
          Saul
        • Richard Finn
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
              Message
              Saul,

              It usually falls under "Sacandaga Park."

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                Message
                I was riding my scooter down Maple Ave. once and there was a hopper truck going to the glue factory.
                I kid you not, there was all sorts of animal-debris flying out of the truck and I was dodging it.  That was
                the last time I rode down Maple Ave. when not in an automobile!

                I remember when I first moved to Gloversville.  My friends and I would go to Perry Lanes and I'd be asking
                who passed gas.  I couldn't believe that there could be a smell like that sitting in the middle of town.  I
                think Kargs smelled worse though!

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                  There was nothing worse when lived on Broad St.,sitting down for dinner
                  and breathing the odor from the tanneries on a hot day. Mark
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                    You would perhaps have found the worse place in Wesbrook Maine where Scott
                    Paper had a sulfite mill. Or almost as bad today is the Ticonderoga mill in
                    upstate NY. These mills are the lifeblood of their regions. If you're well
                    off, build or buy your home some where else. You can still work there with
                    modern transit (horse cars and trolleys initially). Only those who must
                    lived near the mills. Why do folks want to drive these jobs away? The
                    worst spot I can recall in the Gloversville/Johnstown area was Townsend Ave,
                    near the Cayadutta Creek bridge. People actually lived in homes near the
                    creek. I suppose it was the best they could afford. Too many people who
                    have made it (or had it given to them or marry it) overlook these folks.
                    This was an era before the welfare systems of sixties emerged. Today
                    everyone is entitled to a nice home with a nice view.

                    That's narrow, I know, OSHA and the EPA need to control the pollution that
                    resulted in these conditions. That's when the properties started to regain
                    value. Townsend Ave and the Broad Street (West end) of Gloversville are
                    much bette today without Levor's and the rest of the leather industry that
                    lessed the city with jobs and prosperity. Yes there were other issues.

                    The Cayadutta was a sewer for the industry from the north end of
                    Gloversville to the Mohawk. Nowhere along its banks were the homes more
                    than marginal in value, just because of the stink. Those least able to
                    lived in homes along the creek. Some different today.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                      What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                      If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                      there
                      Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                      don't
                      Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                        <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                        What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                        much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                        was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                        noticed one.

                        I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                        plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                        building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                        summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                        Street after having lived there about a year.

                        Walt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                          The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                          sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                          on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                          park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                          creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                          from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                          the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                          PKL

                        • MD Horton
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
                            Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

                            MDH

                            The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                            sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                            on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                            park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                            creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                            from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                            the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                            PKL

                            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                            >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
                            >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
                            >
                            >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                            >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                            >there
                            >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                            >don't
                            >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                            >
                            >Gino

                          • Dick Ryall
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                              Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

                              >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                              >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                              >there
                              >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                              >don't
                              >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                              >
                              >Gino

                              The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
                            • Dick Ryall
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 14, 2005
                                fjg1870 wrote:

                                >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                                ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                                >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                                >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                                >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                                >noticed one.
                                >
                                >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                                >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                                >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                                >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                                >Street after having lived there about a year.
                                >
                                >Walt
                                >

                                >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                                >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                                >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                                >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                                >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                                >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
                                >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........