RE: [FJGRailroad] Sketches of Sacandaga Park

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 3:04 PM
      I think your date is about correct Saul, judging from the dates on postcards
      using some of the same views. The photos are one thing, the book with a
      good cover is a gem well worth the money. The market is among the Sacandaga
      community, Adirondack collectors and us FJ&G fanatics. Every time one comes
      up on eBay it goes close and occassionaly over $200. When you have one it's
      not so valuable; when you don't and want one...

      It would be nice to have the pictures and the covers in the "files"
      section.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1 4:59 PM
        It appears they are very much in business at the Maple Avenue site
        Johnstown. And they still have an odor problem. Of course years ago noone
        who could do otherwise would buy land near a glue factory, tannery, railyard
        or wetland. Today, the land is bought cheap, the house is built, then you
        go to council then court to close down the industry because it is ruining
        your property value..

        If you do a google search for ["Milligan & Higgins" glue] you will develop a
        healthy respect for what the company does. They are the only manufacturers
        of hide glue in North America; considered the foremost experts on hide glue.

        It was an interesting education on the uses of their product.

        PKL
      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1 5:49 PM
          Saul,

          $150 is a lot for a book and I could never afford the price.  The reason the lady is selling it at this price is it's track record on Ebay.  I have seen it 3 times in the last few months and it's gone for over $150 each time!

          Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:10 PM
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sketches of Sacandaga Park

          I have a copy of this book that my mother picked up about 40 years ago when she was in the antique business. I had no idea that it was so valuable. The book has large very sharp photos probably made from glass plates. There is no copyright date, just that the publication was produced by the FJG publicity department. I would say the book is about 100 years old. At some time in the past Randy Decker said that these plates may have existed until 30-40 years ago. If you thread back through our postings there may be some information. I would say that $150.00 is a little pricey. Since the book is in the public domain, I could scan my copy and post the pictures without a copyright infringement.

          Saul

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          http://ny.existingstations.com/

        • Saul Kalbfeld
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2 2:15 PM
            Richard,
            What catagory was the book listed under in E-bay, and if you care to say, what was the item number? Gee, I could scan mine to save the pictures and turn up some $$$ for my model railroad.
            Saul
          • Richard Finn
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2 4:16 PM

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3 4:19 AM
                Message
                Saul,

                It usually falls under "Sacandaga Park."

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3 4:27 AM
                  Message
                  I was riding my scooter down Maple Ave. once and there was a hopper truck going to the glue factory.
                  I kid you not, there was all sorts of animal-debris flying out of the truck and I was dodging it.  That was
                  the last time I rode down Maple Ave. when not in an automobile!

                  I remember when I first moved to Gloversville.  My friends and I would go to Perry Lanes and I'd be asking
                  who passed gas.  I couldn't believe that there could be a smell like that sitting in the middle of town.  I
                  think Kargs smelled worse though!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3 4:36 AM
                    There was nothing worse when lived on Broad St.,sitting down for dinner
                    and breathing the odor from the tanneries on a hot day. Mark
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3 6:03 AM
                      You would perhaps have found the worse place in Wesbrook Maine where Scott
                      Paper had a sulfite mill. Or almost as bad today is the Ticonderoga mill in
                      upstate NY. These mills are the lifeblood of their regions. If you're well
                      off, build or buy your home some where else. You can still work there with
                      modern transit (horse cars and trolleys initially). Only those who must
                      lived near the mills. Why do folks want to drive these jobs away? The
                      worst spot I can recall in the Gloversville/Johnstown area was Townsend Ave,
                      near the Cayadutta Creek bridge. People actually lived in homes near the
                      creek. I suppose it was the best they could afford. Too many people who
                      have made it (or had it given to them or marry it) overlook these folks.
                      This was an era before the welfare systems of sixties emerged. Today
                      everyone is entitled to a nice home with a nice view.

                      That's narrow, I know, OSHA and the EPA need to control the pollution that
                      resulted in these conditions. That's when the properties started to regain
                      value. Townsend Ave and the Broad Street (West end) of Gloversville are
                      much bette today without Levor's and the rest of the leather industry that
                      lessed the city with jobs and prosperity. Yes there were other issues.

                      The Cayadutta was a sewer for the industry from the north end of
                      Gloversville to the Mohawk. Nowhere along its banks were the homes more
                      than marginal in value, just because of the stink. Those least able to
                      lived in homes along the creek. Some different today.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3 8:11 AM
                        What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                        If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                        there
                        Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                        don't
                        Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3 3:28 PM
                          <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                          What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                          much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                          was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                          noticed one.

                          I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                          plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                          building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                          summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                          Street after having lived there about a year.

                          Walt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 4 8:40 PM
                            The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                            sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                            on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                            park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                            creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                            from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                            the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                            PKL

                          • MD Horton
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 6 2:55 PM
                              Residents in the Harrison street area always knew which way the wind was blowing.

                              MDH

                              The Gloversville Sewage treatment plant and settling beds were on the east
                              sode of the tracks. The plant was on the side of Harrison St. and the beds
                              on teh south side. The plant was set back and the grounds looked a bit
                              park like. The stink probably came from the Parkhurst Hair mill or the
                              creek or perhaps from Lee Dying on South Main st. Lee had their own siding
                              from about the location of the former Starr's station. On hot summer days
                              the sewage plant beds were ripe.
                              PKL

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Milligan & Higgins
                              >Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:11:36 -0600
                              >
                              >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                              >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                              >there
                              >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                              >don't
                              >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                              >
                              >Gino

                            • Dick Ryall
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 14 10:17 PM
                                Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

                                >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so much?
                                >If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I was told
                                >there
                                >Was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never noticed one. I
                                >don't
                                >Recall the Hair-Mill stinking...
                                >
                                >Gino

                                The sewage disposal plant, Harrison St. had an oder of its own..........
                              • Dick Ryall
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 14 10:19 PM
                                  fjg1870 wrote:

                                  >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                                  ><Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                                  >What the heck was on Harrison Street in Gloversville that stunk so
                                  >much? If you went to Parkhurst Field in the summer you would gag. I
                                  >was told there was a sewage plant around there somewhere, but never
                                  >noticed one.
                                  >
                                  >I lived on Harrison Street in the late 1940s. Yes there was a sewage
                                  >plant on Harrision Street, it was about where the former Ni-Mo
                                  >building is. My father used to call it the "rose factory". On a hot
                                  >summer night the spell was something else. We moved from Harrision
                                  >Street after having lived there about a year.
                                  >
                                  >Walt
                                  >

                                  >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                                  >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                                  >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                                  >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                                  >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                                  >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
                                  >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  You actually lived on Harrrison Street, holy smoke.........