RE: [FJGRailroad] Interesting story at LeaderHerald

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 12 2:27 PM
      I dont know whats it like today,but I remember those tracks were very
      rough going over and had to take your time crossing over.Its also a long
      crossing to get over to the other side.If a car was just going over the
      first track when the gates are going down,I can under stand why there
      can be close calls.Paul,would you know if those gates are motion
      sensored or if they trip on the approach circuit no matter what speed
      the train is going? Also I thought if you are on double track,and key
      out the gates when you are stop one track,the gates will still trip when
      a train hits the approach circuit on the other track. I know the old
      system if you key out one track,you've just made all tracks at center
      circuit. Mark
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 12 9:26 PM
        Mark, One of the Conductors recalls when they are equipped with cutouts
        each track is cut out separately; you must select the correct track however.

        From the beginning of my driving days I have always dreaded going over that
        crossing - five tracks back then and as you say rough because your in a
        curve. Was always afraid I'd get caught in the middle.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 13 7:28 PM
          When we go to the house in Johnstown we frequently wind up going through
          Fonda in the late evening. I always go through the grade crossing rather
          than over the bridge hoping that the gates are down. My wife has come to
          accept it but she doesnt like it.

        • waltdanylak@citlink.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 15 12:29 PM
            This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

            Dear FJG Railroad Group

            Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
            Please follow this link http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to view this article.

            Walt Danylak comments:
            This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.

            Thank You
            Walt Danylak
            waltdanylak@...
          • waltdanylak@citlink.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 15 12:32 PM
              This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

              Dear FJG Railroad Group

              Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
              Please follow this link http://leaderherald.com/obit/story/0215202005_obtdoyleobit0214.asp to view this article.

              Walt Danylak comments:
              In case anyone knows this woman.

              Thank You
              Walt Danylak
              waltdanylak@...
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 15 11:40 PM
                Walt, the obit really illustrates what a tragedy this incident is.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 16 10:52 AM
                  Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I think
                  the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is propogating an
                  untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out wrong. CSX
                  is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the government
                  to stay in business.

                  >From: <waltdanylak@...>
                  >To: "Name" <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Interesting story at LeaderHerald
                  >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:29:30 -0500
                  >

                  >This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:
                  >
                  >Dear FJG Railroad Group
                  >
                  >Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald
                  >Web Site!
                  >Please follow this link
                  >http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to
                  >view this article.
                  >
                  >Walt Danylak comments:
                  >This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.
                  >
                  >Thank You
                  >Walt Danylak
                  >waltdanylak@...

                • Stephen G. Myers
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16 4:20 PM
                    I cought that sentence too. I let it slide since I seldom see news
                    reported properly.

                    Steve

                    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:52:12 +0000 "joseph Klapkowski"
                    <riverlinejoe@...> writes:

                    > Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I
                    > think
                    > the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is
                    > propogating an
                    > untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out
                    > wrong. CSX
                    > is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the
                    > government
                    > to stay in business.

                  • oleroadslug
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 24 6:53 PM
                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > Amtrak runs at 75 mph. Freight is either 50 or 60 mph.

                      Paul or Gino;

                      Is this the crossing that is just west of the courthouse I believe
                      that runs into the City of Fonda Public Works on 5 there. Great
                      pizza/sub shop there on E side. Used to be a little grocery store
                      there nex to tracks.

                      Bob Schoneman
                      Appleton, WI
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 25 5:01 PM
                        I may be late responding but yes that is the crossing, Broadway.

                        PKL