RE: [FJGRailroad] Interesting story at LeaderHerald

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
      We just got relieved that it wasnt the same person killed that we
      thought we knew.Mark
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
        Message
        Paul,

        What is the speed through there?  Those trains look like they are cruising to me!
        For those of you who don't know, this is the crossing (Near Great American Supermarket)
        where the FJ&G and New York Central crossed Broadway and paralleled each other.

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
          Amtrak runs at 75 mph. Freight is either 50 or 60 mph.

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
            I dont know whats it like today,but I remember those tracks were very
            rough going over and had to take your time crossing over.Its also a long
            crossing to get over to the other side.If a car was just going over the
            first track when the gates are going down,I can under stand why there
            can be close calls.Paul,would you know if those gates are motion
            sensored or if they trip on the approach circuit no matter what speed
            the train is going? Also I thought if you are on double track,and key
            out the gates when you are stop one track,the gates will still trip when
            a train hits the approach circuit on the other track. I know the old
            system if you key out one track,you've just made all tracks at center
            circuit. Mark
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
              Mark, One of the Conductors recalls when they are equipped with cutouts
              each track is cut out separately; you must select the correct track however.

              From the beginning of my driving days I have always dreaded going over that
              crossing - five tracks back then and as you say rough because your in a
              curve. Was always afraid I'd get caught in the middle.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 13, 2005
                When we go to the house in Johnstown we frequently wind up going through
                Fonda in the late evening. I always go through the grade crossing rather
                than over the bridge hoping that the gates are down. My wife has come to
                accept it but she doesnt like it.

              • waltdanylak@citlink.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                  This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

                  Dear FJG Railroad Group

                  Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
                  Please follow this link http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to view this article.

                  Walt Danylak comments:
                  This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.

                  Thank You
                  Walt Danylak
                  waltdanylak@...
                • waltdanylak@citlink.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                    This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

                    Dear FJG Railroad Group

                    Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
                    Please follow this link http://leaderherald.com/obit/story/0215202005_obtdoyleobit0214.asp to view this article.

                    Walt Danylak comments:
                    In case anyone knows this woman.

                    Thank You
                    Walt Danylak
                    waltdanylak@...
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                      Walt, the obit really illustrates what a tragedy this incident is.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I think
                        the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is propogating an
                        untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out wrong. CSX
                        is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the government
                        to stay in business.

                        >From: <waltdanylak@...>
                        >To: "Name" <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Interesting story at LeaderHerald
                        >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:29:30 -0500
                        >

                        >This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:
                        >
                        >Dear FJG Railroad Group
                        >
                        >Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald
                        >Web Site!
                        >Please follow this link
                        >http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to
                        >view this article.
                        >
                        >Walt Danylak comments:
                        >This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.
                        >
                        >Thank You
                        >Walt Danylak
                        >waltdanylak@...

                      • Stephen G. Myers
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                          I cought that sentence too. I let it slide since I seldom see news
                          reported properly.

                          Steve

                          On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:52:12 +0000 "joseph Klapkowski"
                          <riverlinejoe@...> writes:

                          > Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I
                          > think
                          > the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is
                          > propogating an
                          > untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out
                          > wrong. CSX
                          > is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the
                          > government
                          > to stay in business.

                        • oleroadslug
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 24, 2005
                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > Amtrak runs at 75 mph. Freight is either 50 or 60 mph.

                            Paul or Gino;

                            Is this the crossing that is just west of the courthouse I believe
                            that runs into the City of Fonda Public Works on 5 there. Great
                            pizza/sub shop there on E side. Used to be a little grocery store
                            there nex to tracks.

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Appleton, WI
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 25, 2005
                              I may be late responding but yes that is the crossing, Broadway.

                              PKL