Interesting story at LeaderHerald

  • waltdanylak@citlink.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
      This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

      Dear FJ&G Railroad Group

      Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
      Please follow this link http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0212202005_new01_collision0212.asp to view this article.

      Walt Danylak comments:
      This article is in the Saturday Leader Herald.

      Walt

      Thank You
      Walt Danylak
      waltdanylak@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
        Message
        Here's the story I heard from someone who knows a Montgomery County Sheriff's employee.
        An Eastbound train was stopped near the crossing.  The conductor wanted to get a coffee at Stewarts and
        put the gates back up because the train was in the block.  With the gates still up, a Westbound
        train came through (No gates down) and picked the car off.  The news isn't saying this yet, but they
        did mention that a train was stopped at the crossing at the time of the collision.

        This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

        Dear  FJ&G Railroad Group

        Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
        Please follow this link http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0212202005_new01_collision0212.asp to view this article.

        Walt Danylak comments:
        This article is in the Saturday Leader Herald.

        Walt

        Thank You
        Walt Danylak
        waltdanylak@...

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
          That article was well written, Walt. The last line about patience said it
          all. That route across the tracks is a "short cut" to avoid the traffic and
          light on the main street, though you would have to go pretty fast through
          the school zone and stop signs. Too many people are quick to "wish" the
          gates weren't working; too many others are quick to beat it around the
          gates. Interesting that the tv news accounts all showed the north side
          gates down, and lights functioning.

          Well said: "better late than dead."

          PKL

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
            I know some of us out here aren't phd's or ex brain surgeons (there are a
            few phd's believe it or not.). Gino, if this is true that employee will be
            personally liable for the tragedy. As much as I hate to admit it there are
            people that uninformed about their jobs working in our industry.

            PKL

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
              We just got relieved that it wasnt the same person killed that we
              thought we knew.Mark
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
                Message
                Paul,

                What is the speed through there?  Those trains look like they are cruising to me!
                For those of you who don't know, this is the crossing (Near Great American Supermarket)
                where the FJ&G and New York Central crossed Broadway and paralleled each other.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
                  Amtrak runs at 75 mph. Freight is either 50 or 60 mph.

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
                    I dont know whats it like today,but I remember those tracks were very
                    rough going over and had to take your time crossing over.Its also a long
                    crossing to get over to the other side.If a car was just going over the
                    first track when the gates are going down,I can under stand why there
                    can be close calls.Paul,would you know if those gates are motion
                    sensored or if they trip on the approach circuit no matter what speed
                    the train is going? Also I thought if you are on double track,and key
                    out the gates when you are stop one track,the gates will still trip when
                    a train hits the approach circuit on the other track. I know the old
                    system if you key out one track,you've just made all tracks at center
                    circuit. Mark
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
                      Mark, One of the Conductors recalls when they are equipped with cutouts
                      each track is cut out separately; you must select the correct track however.

                      From the beginning of my driving days I have always dreaded going over that
                      crossing - five tracks back then and as you say rough because your in a
                      curve. Was always afraid I'd get caught in the middle.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 13, 2005
                        When we go to the house in Johnstown we frequently wind up going through
                        Fonda in the late evening. I always go through the grade crossing rather
                        than over the bridge hoping that the gates are down. My wife has come to
                        accept it but she doesnt like it.

                      • waltdanylak@citlink.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                          This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

                          Dear FJG Railroad Group

                          Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
                          Please follow this link http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to view this article.

                          Walt Danylak comments:
                          This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.

                          Thank You
                          Walt Danylak
                          waltdanylak@...
                        • waltdanylak@citlink.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                            This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:

                            Dear FJG Railroad Group

                            Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald Web Site!
                            Please follow this link http://leaderherald.com/obit/story/0215202005_obtdoyleobit0214.asp to view this article.

                            Walt Danylak comments:
                            In case anyone knows this woman.

                            Thank You
                            Walt Danylak
                            waltdanylak@...
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                              Walt, the obit really illustrates what a tragedy this incident is.

                              PKL

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I think
                                the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is propogating an
                                untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out wrong. CSX
                                is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the government
                                to stay in business.

                                >From: <waltdanylak@...>
                                >To: "Name" <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Interesting story at LeaderHerald
                                >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:29:30 -0500
                                >

                                >This email was sent courtesy of The Leader Herald Web Site:
                                >
                                >Dear FJG Railroad Group
                                >
                                >Walt Danylak wanted you to take a look at this story on The Leader Herald
                                >Web Site!
                                >Please follow this link
                                >http://www.leaderherald.com/news/story/0215202005_new01_train0215.asp to
                                >view this article.
                                >
                                >Walt Danylak comments:
                                >This is a follow up story about the death at Fonda last week.
                                >
                                >Thank You
                                >Walt Danylak
                                >waltdanylak@...

                              • Stephen G. Myers
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                  I cought that sentence too. I let it slide since I seldom see news
                                  reported properly.

                                  Steve

                                  On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:52:12 +0000 "joseph Klapkowski"
                                  <riverlinejoe@...> writes:

                                  > Sixth line from the bottom has me confused. What I really mean is I
                                  > think
                                  > the reporter is confused or maybe I should say that the LH is
                                  > propogating an
                                  > untruth by quoting the village official who is just out and out
                                  > wrong. CSX
                                  > is a for profit company. They do not receive a subsidy from the
                                  > government
                                  > to stay in business.

                                • oleroadslug
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 24, 2005
                                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Amtrak runs at 75 mph. Freight is either 50 or 60 mph.

                                    Paul or Gino;

                                    Is this the crossing that is just west of the courthouse I believe
                                    that runs into the City of Fonda Public Works on 5 there. Great
                                    pizza/sub shop there on E side. Used to be a little grocery store
                                    there nex to tracks.

                                    Bob Schoneman
                                    Appleton, WI
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 25, 2005
                                      I may be late responding but yes that is the crossing, Broadway.

                                      PKL