MetroLink

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005

      January 26, 2005
      Metrolink crash claims ten

      News reports indicate that ten people are confirmed dead and nearly 200 injured, 40 critically, in a chain-reaction crash of two Metrolink commuter trains and a Union Pacific maintenance-of-way train that occurred early this morning in Glendale, Calif., several miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

      According to the news reports, a Metrolink train struck a Jeep Cherokee parked on a grade crossing, derailed, and plowed into the unmanned UP m/w train, which was parked on a siding. That collision caused a second commuter train to derail and crash into the first commuter train.

      Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca was quoted as saying the Jeep appeared to have been "deliberately placed" on the tracks by its driver, who was not injured. The driver, who was apprehended by police, parked his car on the tracks with the intention of committing suicide, but lost his nerve at the last moment, abandoning his car, according to police.

      The crash occurred on former Southern Pacific Railway trackage owned and dispatched by the Southern California Regional Rail Authority and used by Metrolink commuter trains, which are operated by Amtrak crews, and Union Pacific freight trains
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
        Message
        I thought of something here.  We get two locos, one in different directions.  We'll draw and quarter the
        guy who did this.  We'll let family members of the deceased run the locos...
[...]

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/