RE: [FJGRailroad] Switchkeys

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      It sounds like you've been caught in a fraud. There are a few others I know
      of that are certain frauds. Keys have been seriously faked since the mid
      seventies. Of course if it's the same seller, could be they used the wrong
      picture (giving the benefit of the doubt). Preferably keys should have
      pocket wear, not worn out but a nice warm appearance of having been used.
      Wear on the bit will be from turning in the lock, right to left as you look
      down on the bit. Without a key in hand it's hard to define what to look for
      and what to reject, if the price is more than you can afford to lose. There
      are new NYO&W keys out there; unissued keys hitting the market after a road
      closes are not uncommon; I have a box of CV keys from stores, when we
      converted to S&G locks. I would never expect to see the same number.

      There was an FJ&G key a while back with an oddly high number floating the
      market. Someone eventually bought it. Only thing I can say about the key
      market is be VERY careful before you spend a lot of money on one. Another
      thing, generally: if there is no makers name on the key, steer clear no
      matter how exciting the road initials are.

      Pics of the FJ&G key above mentioned attached.

      Paul