Boston and Maine Deck Truss and Holiday Greetings!

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
      I know this is off the subject, but I am looking at photo in an old copy of MR magazine of the B&M deck truss bridge over the Hudson River and I am wondering if any one could offer any information on the bridge. I am spanning a 66 inch aisle on my model railroad and this looks like an interesting modeling subject.

      Also,

      A Gloversville Christmas, Fifty Years Ago.
      With apologies to Johnstownians

      Martin and Naylor full on a Friday night,
      The Salvation Army bell ringer is in front.

      Argersinger's is busy too,
      Woolworth's in between.

      Across Main the Glove is showing White Christmas,
      Friends, old and new meet in Pedricks,
      Stamped off snow by the door,
      Smiles and happy times.

      Working people have their checks, fill all the little
      stores up and down the street.
      Us little folks only wanted to see the Lionel trains in Durkee's.

      The cop at the Four Corners is wearing a white cape.
      Keeps the traffic moving,
      Going round and round the short blocks,
      Parking scarce.

      South Main busy too,
      Lots of stores here,
      Strauss Stores have trains.
      Don't forget Morse Hobby Shop in the basement of the Kingsborough.
      More taverns here. Some memorable, some notorious.
      What about Glen's on Washington.
      Still there?
      I hope so.
      Ought to be in the National Register.

      Late on a Friday afternoon on East Fulton,
      Remember the snowball fights.
      YMCA across from the JCC
      All good friends separated here by religion and the range of a well packed snowball.
      Traffic gets blitzed, police cars too.
      Run everybody!

      Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah (already over), Kwanzaa, and a Happy New Year.
      Saul and Felicia Kalbfeld
    • Rogers Finch
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
        Thanks for the Gloversville reminiscences. You have also sparked the memories of this ex-Broadalbanian who enjoyed many of the same experiences in Gloversville in the 20s and 30s. The FJ&G was often our exciting mode of transportation from the Village to the big city, 9 miles away. There were clarinet lessons at the Batty Brothers music store just south of the four corners. The B'albin basketball team bus always stopped at Pedricks after ball games and each thirsty player downed a quart of milk.

        Movies at the Glove on Main or the Hippodrome on Fulton were a special treat, especially after the silents were replaced by sound and black and white by color. Even today's repeats of the Wizard of Oz on TV are as fresh as the first showing at the Glove. Barbara and her sister, Gloversvillians, got in free to the movies with their dad's passes when he was City Editor of the Leader.

        At Christmas time the streets and the stores of big-city Gloversville were a fairyland for us kids from the Village, especially with the excitement of visiting Santa at Martin and Naylors. Depression years were tough but life was simpler and we all enjoyed many happy times.

        Holiday greetings to all and thanks for the memories

        Rogers and Barbara (Hine) Finch

[...]

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2004
          Saul,

          Thanks for the Gloversville memories, but you missed several of the
          model train locations. As often as I could, I would go downtown and
          check out the trains. First stop was Woolworth's who had mostly Marx.
          Next was Matin & Naylor down stairs. They almost always had a Lionel
          Santa Fe F3 running. Next stop was Firestone on Bleecker Street. They
          had a Lionel operating layout you could see from outside the store. I
          bet I spent hours looking at those trains. Next stop was Sears on
          West Fulton Street, back in the garage area. They always had an
          operating display, mostly Lionel and Marx. Back to Main Street and to
          Durkee's as you mentioned. Way in the back of the store they too had
          an operating Lionel layout. Finally to the Sports Shop on East
          Fulton, to my favorite, as they had American Flyer.

          I remember a hobby shop on West Fulton just past the 4 corners, but I
          don't remember one in the Kingsboro Hotel area.

          Walt