Re: Vail Mills Photo now up

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 1999
      Just thought that I would also send Charles a pat on the back for an excellent
      site!

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
        Reference the Vail Mills sation.

        The building at Perth, New York is most likely not from Vail Mills. There
        is a strong possibility it is a former trolley station, likely from the
        Amsterdam area. It was moved to Perth in 1949 from Amsterdam where it had
        served as a gas station from prior to 1935. It is one of the earliest gas
        stations from the area. If you're interested in a better picture, the brush
        has been removed from the building in the past couple of days. I may be able
        to provide pictures of the building in its earlier uses.

        I will track down more on its origin in the next few days keeping all
        advised.

        PKL.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
          Paul, et. al.,

          I don't have a copy of it here in college, the book "Trolleys Down the
          Mohawk Valley" shows some pictures of the old trolley stops. I'm not 100%
          certain of this, but I think one picture shows a trolley stop being used as
          a gas station... the book isn't well organized but a good check though it
          might reveal the picture if it exists.

          -Aaron

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
            A while ago we were having a discussion about slide, negative, and flatbed
            scanners.

            Here at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University,
            the photo department uses the following:

            Nikon LS-1000 35mm Film Scanners. These scan strip negatives and slides.
            I've ran them up to 3200 DPI with excellent results.

            We also use several HP ScanJet 4C models to scan prints and what-not. We
            don't use them as much as the negative scanners but they're still pretty
            good.

            If anyone is going to use negative and slide scanners, I like the LS-1000
            that I've used at Newhouse.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
              There is a pic in there of the Rockton wye in 1956, but by that time the
              building had been moved to Perth. I will try to get a couple of photos of
              the building in its gas station days and endeavor to make the connection
              with a particular location.

              PKL