Armistice Day (Remembrance Day in Canada)

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2004
      Today remains one of my most memorable days of growing up in Gloversville, when many World War I veterans were still alive. At the time of 11:11am today, the town fell silent for a minute and the factory whistles blew to signal the end of the Great War.  The closest whistle being at the Fulton County Silk Mill, next door to Kingsborough Elementary school where I attended to the middle of 4th grade. I remember so well.

      The poem "In Flanders Fields" by the Canadian army physician John McCrae  remains to this day one of the most memorable war poems ever written. It is a lasting legacy of the terrible battle in the Ypres salient in the spring of 1915.

      In Flanders Fields

      In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
      That mark our place; and in the sky