Re: Unattended baggage

  • b_michael_berger
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
      Your reaction was OK as was the official response. I'm sure the
      other traveler never thought he might be causing a problem when he
      left the bag.

      Consider the millions of travelers and millions of bags, and that
      there's NEVER been an incident in the US such as occurred in Spain.
      As a group we (Americans) appear to be totally paranoid about
      security regardless of the fact that there's a very small threat. We
      willingly suffer amazingly huge inconveniences at airports, public
      buildings, sports events and so forth being sreened and wanded, but
      never seem to notice how easy it is to get on the tarmac of any
      airport, onto virtually any rail line (surface or below ground,
      including the tracks, tunnels, and so forth), into almost any
      building through the unguarded service entrances, and so forth. The
      opportunities for mischief are so numerous one must wonder why it
      doesn't happen.

      I'm in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. DC's Metrorail
      system carries over 190 million people a year. Can you imagine trying
      to screen them?

      Probably the best thing we have going for us is that the "bad guys"
      are really afraid of our ability and willingness to retaliate if they
      try another 9-11 ("don't wake the sleeping tiger"). Let's hope they
      stay that way.

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
      <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
      > I am going to gripe and have included the FJ&G and D&H lists to
      give you all
      > a sense of what STUPID people we have riding Metro North.
      >
      > Tonight I arrived at track 35 in GCT to take the 7:18 pm Hudson
      line train
      > north. My ride is about 70 minutes so getting a "good" seat is
      crucial.
      > Tonight I arrived at 6:52 (actually I missed the 6:48) so I took
      advantage
      > of my early arrival to get a "good" seat
      >
      > As I plopped down I noted there was an unattended bag in the seat
      right in
      > front of me. Call me paranoid but I looked about to see if anyone
      was
      > walking around the train. I went so far as to check the bathroom.
      No dice.

      > I got off the train and went to the first mechanical department guy
      I saw
      > and told him about the bag. He went down and looked, came back up
      te
      > platform and announced that it was in fact an unattended bag. Six
      minutes
      > have now passed and I am getting a little anxious. Its also getting
      closer
      > to train time (remembert my good seat?). The mechanical guy summons
      MNPD who

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
        You aint seen nothing yet.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
          Trouble with the tiger today is it has no home. In the days of the cold war
          we knew where the tiger slept.

          What will it be like when the disaffected in this country start mayhem as
          they did in the late sixties and early seventies. Anyone remember the
          "weathermen", SDS and other malcontents bent on disrupting the status quo.

          Terrorism is a repetitive event of US history, previously home grown, just
          been quiet for a generation. That's measured between the time I received my
          children till they received theirs. Think of it: a whole generation of white
          kids who never experienced real war, want or fear. Any wonder why we have
          overreacted.

          Who are the most significant "home grown" terrorists today? Could it be
          those who undertake to bomb abortion clinics; snipe murder abortion
          practitioners, hide them and fund their escape to Europe - all in the name
          of God (allah). Think Eric Rudolph and his ilk, underground of late.

          What makes this country great is its openess. I recall my thoughts when the
          barricades went up around the white house, then after the bombings federal
          facilities commenced the barricades went up at those places. Fear is the
          greatest enemy. It breeds a distrust of differences rather than an
          embracing of ideas, ultimately destroying from inside what a terrorist can't
          otherwise breach, love and tolerance.

          PKL