Re: [FJGRailroad] Unattended baggage

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
      Everyone was doing their job that had been instructed to them by their
      superiors.All railroads have been on high alert.We were given booklets
      in regards what to look out for and instructions to do.Im in the frieght
      service,so I can imagine what was given to passenger trains
      employees.The booklets were made by the Federal Gov't. Mark
    • Stephen G. Myers
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
        Yes, the security is certainly anti rail enthusiast!
        Todays weather in Buffalo is snow, maybe I should have stayed in the
        Mohawk Valley?

        Steve

        .
        On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 07:54:22 -0500 mwilber@... writes:

        > Everyone was doing their job that had been instructed to them by
        > their
        > superiors.All railroads have been on high alert.We were given
        > booklets
        > in regards what to look out for and instructions to do.Im in the
        > frieght
        > service,so I can imagine what was given to passenger trains
        > employees.The booklets were made by the Federal Gov't. Mark

        > --------------------~-->
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

        > Visit Gino's Railpage at
        > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
        > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        > Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
        > State at
        > http://ny.existingstations.com/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • b_michael_berger
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
          Your reaction was OK as was the official response. I'm sure the
          other traveler never thought he might be causing a problem when he
          left the bag.

          Consider the millions of travelers and millions of bags, and that
          there's NEVER been an incident in the US such as occurred in Spain.
          As a group we (Americans) appear to be totally paranoid about
          security regardless of the fact that there's a very small threat. We
          willingly suffer amazingly huge inconveniences at airports, public
          buildings, sports events and so forth being sreened and wanded, but
          never seem to notice how easy it is to get on the tarmac of any
          airport, onto virtually any rail line (surface or below ground,
          including the tracks, tunnels, and so forth), into almost any
          building through the unguarded service entrances, and so forth. The
          opportunities for mischief are so numerous one must wonder why it
          doesn't happen.

          I'm in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. DC's Metrorail
          system carries over 190 million people a year. Can you imagine trying
          to screen them?

          Probably the best thing we have going for us is that the "bad guys"
          are really afraid of our ability and willingness to retaliate if they
          try another 9-11 ("don't wake the sleeping tiger"). Let's hope they
          stay that way.

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
          <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
          > I am going to gripe and have included the FJ&G and D&H lists to
          give you all
          > a sense of what STUPID people we have riding Metro North.
          >
          > Tonight I arrived at track 35 in GCT to take the 7:18 pm Hudson
          line train
          > north. My ride is about 70 minutes so getting a "good" seat is
          crucial.
          > Tonight I arrived at 6:52 (actually I missed the 6:48) so I took
          advantage
          > of my early arrival to get a "good" seat
          >
          > As I plopped down I noted there was an unattended bag in the seat
          right in
          > front of me. Call me paranoid but I looked about to see if anyone
          was
          > walking around the train. I went so far as to check the bathroom.
          No dice.

          > I got off the train and went to the first mechanical department guy
          I saw
          > and told him about the bag. He went down and looked, came back up
          te
          > platform and announced that it was in fact an unattended bag. Six
          minutes
          > have now passed and I am getting a little anxious. Its also getting
          closer
          > to train time (remembert my good seat?). The mechanical guy summons
          MNPD who

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
            You aint seen nothing yet.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
              Trouble with the tiger today is it has no home. In the days of the cold war
              we knew where the tiger slept.

              What will it be like when the disaffected in this country start mayhem as
              they did in the late sixties and early seventies. Anyone remember the
              "weathermen", SDS and other malcontents bent on disrupting the status quo.

              Terrorism is a repetitive event of US history, previously home grown, just
              been quiet for a generation. That's measured between the time I received my
              children till they received theirs. Think of it: a whole generation of white
              kids who never experienced real war, want or fear. Any wonder why we have
              overreacted.

              Who are the most significant "home grown" terrorists today? Could it be
              those who undertake to bomb abortion clinics; snipe murder abortion
              practitioners, hide them and fund their escape to Europe - all in the name
              of God (allah). Think Eric Rudolph and his ilk, underground of late.

              What makes this country great is its openess. I recall my thoughts when the
              barricades went up around the white house, then after the bombings federal
              facilities commenced the barricades went up at those places. Fear is the
              greatest enemy. It breeds a distrust of differences rather than an
              embracing of ideas, ultimately destroying from inside what a terrorist can't
              otherwise breach, love and tolerance.

              PKL