Re: [FJGRailroad] Unattended baggage

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
      I thought we were in high security and on the lookout for unattended
      luggage or bags because of terrorism?

      Steve

      .

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
        Joe your reaction sounds a bit anxious but you did the right thing. Amtrak
        employees have all been advised to report unattended bags or packages; it's
        considered part of the routine today. It sounds like the MNRR cops were lax
        in their handling the matter. Yes they should have taken the guy in custody
        long enough for him to miss his train. Next time he would engage his brain
        to curb his insouciance.

        PKL

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
          Everyone was doing their job that had been instructed to them by their
          superiors.All railroads have been on high alert.We were given booklets
          in regards what to look out for and instructions to do.Im in the frieght
          service,so I can imagine what was given to passenger trains
          employees.The booklets were made by the Federal Gov't. Mark
        • Stephen G. Myers
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
            Yes, the security is certainly anti rail enthusiast!
            Todays weather in Buffalo is snow, maybe I should have stayed in the
            Mohawk Valley?

            Steve

            .
            On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 07:54:22 -0500 mwilber@... writes:

            > Everyone was doing their job that had been instructed to them by
            > their
            > superiors.All railroads have been on high alert.We were given
            > booklets
            > in regards what to look out for and instructions to do.Im in the
            > frieght
            > service,so I can imagine what was given to passenger trains
            > employees.The booklets were made by the Federal Gov't. Mark

            > --------------------~-->
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

            > Visit Gino's Railpage at
            > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            > Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
            > State at
            > http://ny.existingstations.com/
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • b_michael_berger
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
              Your reaction was OK as was the official response. I'm sure the
              other traveler never thought he might be causing a problem when he
              left the bag.

              Consider the millions of travelers and millions of bags, and that
              there's NEVER been an incident in the US such as occurred in Spain.
              As a group we (Americans) appear to be totally paranoid about
              security regardless of the fact that there's a very small threat. We
              willingly suffer amazingly huge inconveniences at airports, public
              buildings, sports events and so forth being sreened and wanded, but
              never seem to notice how easy it is to get on the tarmac of any
              airport, onto virtually any rail line (surface or below ground,
              including the tracks, tunnels, and so forth), into almost any
              building through the unguarded service entrances, and so forth. The
              opportunities for mischief are so numerous one must wonder why it
              doesn't happen.

              I'm in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. DC's Metrorail
              system carries over 190 million people a year. Can you imagine trying
              to screen them?

              Probably the best thing we have going for us is that the "bad guys"
              are really afraid of our ability and willingness to retaliate if they
              try another 9-11 ("don't wake the sleeping tiger"). Let's hope they
              stay that way.

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
                You aint seen nothing yet.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
                  Trouble with the tiger today is it has no home. In the days of the cold war
                  we knew where the tiger slept.

                  What will it be like when the disaffected in this country start mayhem as
                  they did in the late sixties and early seventies. Anyone remember the
                  "weathermen", SDS and other malcontents bent on disrupting the status quo.

                  Terrorism is a repetitive event of US history, previously home grown, just
                  been quiet for a generation. That's measured between the time I received my
                  children till they received theirs. Think of it: a whole generation of white
                  kids who never experienced real war, want or fear. Any wonder why we have
                  overreacted.

                  Who are the most significant "home grown" terrorists today? Could it be
                  those who undertake to bomb abortion clinics; snipe murder abortion
                  practitioners, hide them and fund their escape to Europe - all in the name
                  of God (allah). Think Eric Rudolph and his ilk, underground of late.

                  What makes this country great is its openess. I recall my thoughts when the
                  barricades went up around the white house, then after the bombings federal
                  facilities commenced the barricades went up at those places. Fear is the
                  greatest enemy. It breeds a distrust of differences rather than an
                  embracing of ideas, ultimately destroying from inside what a terrorist can't
                  otherwise breach, love and tolerance.

                  PKL