pennsylvania RR, looking for help.

  • Mike engle
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
      Hello all,

      I know this is off topic of the FJG R/R, but I'm hoping you can put
      up with it for one post.

      I have found this blurb, while researching diners from a Silver
      Creek, NY newspaper. (for anyone not familiar with Silver Creek, it
      is near Dunkirk, on Lake Erie)

      My question is this. Do archives for the Pennsylvania R/R exist?
      I'd like to see if they have kept the pictures of the diners,
      mentioned below.

      Thanks!
      Mike Engle
      -----------------------
      Mar 25, 1926
      What is probably the largest order for dining cars ever placed in
      America or anywhere else has been received by Messrs.
      Ward & Dickinson. This order is for 30 of the very latest type of
      Ward & Dickinson dining car, all to be delivered and used
      at Cleveland, Ohio. Six of the cars, the first to go forward were
      loaded by the Pennsylvania Railroad this week. The
      Pennsylvania Railroad, which it is rumored will shortly run a new set
      of double tracks through Silver Creek and on to Irving,
      was so interested in the shipment that a number of officials gave it
      their special personal attention, taking photographs and
      making special arrangements so that the very large number of these
      cars now leaving Silver Creek will be handled with the
      greatest expedition.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
        Hi Mike,

        Maybe you should ask your question on one of these PRR groups:

        Someone on one of these groups probably can help you.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
          Off subject, but Happy Thanksgiving Mr. Charland!

          Mike engle wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I know this is off topic of the FJG R/R, but I'm hoping you can put
          > up with it for one post.
          >
          > I have found this blurb, while researching diners from a Silver
          > Creek, NY newspaper. (for anyone not familiar with Silver Creek, it
          > is near Dunkirk, on Lake Erie)
          >

          > My question is this. Do archives for the Pennsylvania R/R exist?
          > I'd like to see if they have kept the pictures of the diners,
          > mentioned below.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Mike Engle
          > -----------------------
          > Mar 25, 1926
          > What is probably the largest order for dining cars ever placed in
          > America or anywhere else has been received by Messrs.
          > Ward & Dickinson. This order is for 30 of the very latest type of
          > Ward & Dickinson dining car, all to be delivered and used
          > at Cleveland, Ohio. Six of the cars, the first to go forward were
          > loaded by the Pennsylvania Railroad this week. The
          > Pennsylvania Railroad, which it is rumored will shortly run a new set
          > of double tracks through Silver Creek and on to Irving,
          > was so interested in the shipment that a number of officials gave it
          > their special personal attention, taking photographs and
          > making special arrangements so that the very large number of these
          > cars now leaving Silver Creek will be handled with the
          > greatest expedition.

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
          at
          http://ny.existingstations.com/
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
            Moo! Thanks Gino... if you only knew!

            We usually have a crowd here for a 20 pound turkey cooked to order by my
            father... except a week ago he had surgery on his hand and everybody has
            abandoned us for greener pastures! We are having turkey though,
            courtesy or two Swanson TV dinners!

            Paul :-)