Re: caboose #2

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2004
      RailCity auctioned off most of its
      assets (motive power and rolling stock) in
      an estate auction in the early 1990s.
      The auction received much publicity in
      the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper and
      one of the stories featured much info on ex-
      FJG #2's sale. As I recall (I didn't save the
      clipping), the caboose brought far more
      bidder interest and money than expected.
      Because the thing was in deplorable condition,
      railbirds figured it would go for a song. But
      the bidding was brisk. The story speculated
      that the unanticipated interest was due to the
      rarity of an 8-wheel bobber. However, the
      successful bidder, an unidentified private
      collector from Connecticut, was quoted as saying
      he bid so high because he already owned #2's
      sister unit. Now whether that meant
      he already had 4-wheel FJG #1, or meant that he
      already owned some other 8-wheeler which has some
      construction lineage tied to #2, is an unsolved
      mystery not explained in the story. My guess?
      Just like #3 is alive and well in Honesdale, Pa.,
      I'd bet #2 and #1 are resting well in Conn.
      RailCity still operates in Northern
      Oswego County near Sandy Creek. Today, however,
      its just a museum house and a couple of barns
      full on momentos. In its heyday in the '70s, it
      was a full-scale rail-ride themepark.---Andy Fusco

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski" <
      riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:

      > Thats the place I was thinking of.
      >
      > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
      > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
      > >Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:47:19 -0400
      > >
      > >Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber,
      caboose No.
      > >1.
      > > I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy
      Creek, NY?

      > >PKL
      > >

      > > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
      > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
      > > >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:23:39 +0000
      > > >
      > > >I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near
      Alexandria
      > >Bay.

      Burlington and
      > >was

      > >Rutland

      > > >Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
      > > >http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/
      > > >

      > > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
      > > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
      > > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
      > > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
      > > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      > > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      > > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New
      York State
      > >at
      > > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
      > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
      > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
      > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
      > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
      > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
      State at
      > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
      it's FREE!
      > hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
    • Charles Woolever
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
        So can anyone summarize where the remaining FJ&G cabooses are?

        Charles