Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
      Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber, caboose No. 1.
      I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy Creek, NY?

      PKL

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
        Thats the place I was thinking of.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
          Will,

          Can I get a scan of that picture? I'd love to see an FJ&G caboose
          Coupled to a Rutland van!

          I have a photo that shows FJG caboose #2 on a northbound Rutland
          freight at New Haven Vermont. It is the last car in the train
          followed by Rutland caboose #43. Late 1950's.
          Anyone know where #2 was heading?
          Will Davis

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          http://www.ginosrailpage.com
          http://fjgrr.org
          http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/ Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org Visit The NERAIL North American Photo
          Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • andrewsfusco
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 23, 2004
            RailCity auctioned off most of its
            assets (motive power and rolling stock) in
            an estate auction in the early 1990s.
            The auction received much publicity in
            the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper and
            one of the stories featured much info on ex-
            FJG #2's sale. As I recall (I didn't save the
            clipping), the caboose brought far more
            bidder interest and money than expected.
            Because the thing was in deplorable condition,
            railbirds figured it would go for a song. But
            the bidding was brisk. The story speculated
            that the unanticipated interest was due to the
            rarity of an 8-wheel bobber. However, the
            successful bidder, an unidentified private
            collector from Connecticut, was quoted as saying
            he bid so high because he already owned #2's
            sister unit. Now whether that meant
            he already had 4-wheel FJG #1, or meant that he
            already owned some other 8-wheeler which has some
            construction lineage tied to #2, is an unsolved
            mystery not explained in the story. My guess?
            Just like #3 is alive and well in Honesdale, Pa.,
            I'd bet #2 and #1 are resting well in Conn.
            RailCity still operates in Northern
            Oswego County near Sandy Creek. Today, however,
            its just a museum house and a couple of barns
            full on momentos. In its heyday in the '70s, it
            was a full-scale rail-ride themepark.---Andy Fusco

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski" <
            riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:

            > Thats the place I was thinking of.
            >
            > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
            > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
            > >Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:47:19 -0400
            > >
            > >Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber,
            caboose No.
            > >1.
            > > I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy
            Creek, NY?

            > >PKL
            > >

            > > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
            > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
            > > >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:23:39 +0000
            > > >
            > > >I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near
            Alexandria
            > >Bay.

            Burlington and
            > >was

            > >Rutland

            > > >Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
            > > >http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/
            > > >

            > > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
            > > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
            > > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
            > > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            > > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            > > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            > > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New
            York State
            > >at
            > > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
            > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
            > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
            > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
            > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
            State at
            > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
            it's FREE!
            > hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
          • Charles Woolever
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
              So can anyone summarize where the remaining FJ&G cabooses are?

              Charles