Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
      I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near Alexandria Bay.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
        Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber, caboose No. 1.
        I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy Creek, NY?

        PKL

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
          Thats the place I was thinking of.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
            Will,

            Can I get a scan of that picture? I'd love to see an FJ&G caboose
            Coupled to a Rutland van!

            I have a photo that shows FJG caboose #2 on a northbound Rutland
            freight at New Haven Vermont. It is the last car in the train
            followed by Rutland caboose #43. Late 1950's.
            Anyone know where #2 was heading?
            Will Davis

            Visit Gino's Railpage at
            http://www.ginosrailpage.com
            http://fjgrr.org
            http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/ Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            http://www.lostlandmarks.org Visit The NERAIL North American Photo
            Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • andrewsfusco
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 23, 2004
              RailCity auctioned off most of its
              assets (motive power and rolling stock) in
              an estate auction in the early 1990s.
              The auction received much publicity in
              the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper and
              one of the stories featured much info on ex-
              FJG #2's sale. As I recall (I didn't save the
              clipping), the caboose brought far more
              bidder interest and money than expected.
              Because the thing was in deplorable condition,
              railbirds figured it would go for a song. But
              the bidding was brisk. The story speculated
              that the unanticipated interest was due to the
              rarity of an 8-wheel bobber. However, the
              successful bidder, an unidentified private
              collector from Connecticut, was quoted as saying
              he bid so high because he already owned #2's
              sister unit. Now whether that meant
              he already had 4-wheel FJG #1, or meant that he
              already owned some other 8-wheeler which has some
              construction lineage tied to #2, is an unsolved
              mystery not explained in the story. My guess?
              Just like #3 is alive and well in Honesdale, Pa.,
              I'd bet #2 and #1 are resting well in Conn.
              RailCity still operates in Northern
              Oswego County near Sandy Creek. Today, however,
              its just a museum house and a couple of barns
              full on momentos. In its heyday in the '70s, it
              was a full-scale rail-ride themepark.---Andy Fusco

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski" <
              riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:

              > Thats the place I was thinking of.
              >
              > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
              > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
              > >Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:47:19 -0400
              > >
              > >Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber,
              caboose No.
              > >1.
              > > I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy
              Creek, NY?

              > >PKL
              > >

              > > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
              > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
              > > >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:23:39 +0000
              > > >
              > > >I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near
              Alexandria
              > >Bay.

              Burlington and
              > >was

              > >Rutland

              > > >Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
              > > >http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/
              > > >

              > > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
              > > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
              > > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
              > > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
              > > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
              > > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
              > > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New
              York State
              > >at
              > > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
              > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
              > > >

              > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
              > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
              > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
              > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
              > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
              > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
              > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
              State at
              > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
              it's FREE!
              > hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
            • Charles Woolever
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                So can anyone summarize where the remaining FJ&G cabooses are?

                Charles