caboose #2

  • olcrr
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2004
      Group,
      I have a photo that shows FJG caboose #2 on a northbound Rutland
      freight at New Haven Vermont. It is the last car in the train
      followed by Rutland caboose #43. Late 1950's.
      Anyone know where #2 was heading?
      Will Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 18, 2004
        Hi Will,

        I heard it went to the Shelburne Museum just south of Burlington and was
        there for years. I called there in the early '80s to see if I could
        measure it but was told it went to a museum in the Albany NY area years
        before... 'Train Town USA' or something like that, never found the name
        in any Railroad museum listings so never pursued it.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
          No. 2 was displayed at the Shelburn Museum in Shelburne VT for a number of
          years. Rumor has it on the east side of the state today, south of St.
          Johnsbury in a private collection.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
            I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near Alexandria Bay.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 19, 2004
              Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber, caboose No. 1.
              I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy Creek, NY?

              PKL

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
                Thats the place I was thinking of.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
                  Will,

                  Can I get a scan of that picture? I'd love to see an FJ&G caboose
                  Coupled to a Rutland van!

                  I have a photo that shows FJG caboose #2 on a northbound Rutland
                  freight at New Haven Vermont. It is the last car in the train
                  followed by Rutland caboose #43. Late 1950's.
                  Anyone know where #2 was heading?
                  Will Davis

                  Visit Gino's Railpage at
                  http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/ Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                  http://www.lostlandmarks.org Visit The NERAIL North American Photo
                  Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • andrewsfusco
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 23, 2004
                    RailCity auctioned off most of its
                    assets (motive power and rolling stock) in
                    an estate auction in the early 1990s.
                    The auction received much publicity in
                    the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper and
                    one of the stories featured much info on ex-
                    FJG #2's sale. As I recall (I didn't save the
                    clipping), the caboose brought far more
                    bidder interest and money than expected.
                    Because the thing was in deplorable condition,
                    railbirds figured it would go for a song. But
                    the bidding was brisk. The story speculated
                    that the unanticipated interest was due to the
                    rarity of an 8-wheel bobber. However, the
                    successful bidder, an unidentified private
                    collector from Connecticut, was quoted as saying
                    he bid so high because he already owned #2's
                    sister unit. Now whether that meant
                    he already had 4-wheel FJG #1, or meant that he
                    already owned some other 8-wheeler which has some
                    construction lineage tied to #2, is an unsolved
                    mystery not explained in the story. My guess?
                    Just like #3 is alive and well in Honesdale, Pa.,
                    I'd bet #2 and #1 are resting well in Conn.
                    RailCity still operates in Northern
                    Oswego County near Sandy Creek. Today, however,
                    its just a museum house and a couple of barns
                    full on momentos. In its heyday in the '70s, it
                    was a full-scale rail-ride themepark.---Andy Fusco

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski" <
                    riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:

                    > Thats the place I was thinking of.
                    >
                    > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                    > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
                    > >Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:47:19 -0400
                    > >
                    > >Joe, if we're thinking of the same place they had the bobber,
                    caboose No.
                    > >1.
                    > > I recall it was called Rail City, wasn't it near or at Sandy
                    Creek, NY?

                    > >PKL
                    > >

                    > > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
                    > > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose #2
                    > > >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:23:39 +0000
                    > > >
                    > > >I think that Train Town USA was the operation up north near
                    Alexandria
                    > >Bay.

                    Burlington and
                    > >was

                    > >Rutland

                    > > >Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
                    > > >http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/
                    > > >

                    > > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                    > > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                    > > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
                    > > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                    > > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                    > > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                    > > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New
                    York State
                    > >at
                    > > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                    > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > > >

                    > >Visit Gino's Railpage at
                    > >http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                    > >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
                    > >http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                    > >Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                    > >http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                    > >Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
                    State at
                    > >http://ny.existingstations.com/
                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
                    it's FREE!
                    > hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                  • Charles Woolever
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1 7:38 AM
                      So can anyone summarize where the remaining FJ&G cabooses are?

                      Charles