Re: Vail Mills Photo now up

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 1999
      Charles,

      The site looks fabulous! You have really spruced it up since the
      last time I saw it!!! Anyone who hasn't seen Charles site, I
      recomend that you go visit now...

      http://ny.existingstations.com

      Visit Gino's RailPage...
      Home of The F.J.G.R.R.
      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos

      Join the FJG discussion list at ONELIST...
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/FJGRailroad/

      ----------

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 1999
        Just thought that I would also send Charles a pat on the back for an excellent
        site!

        Paul

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
          Reference the Vail Mills sation.

          The building at Perth, New York is most likely not from Vail Mills. There
          is a strong possibility it is a former trolley station, likely from the
          Amsterdam area. It was moved to Perth in 1949 from Amsterdam where it had
          served as a gas station from prior to 1935. It is one of the earliest gas
          stations from the area. If you're interested in a better picture, the brush
          has been removed from the building in the past couple of days. I may be able
          to provide pictures of the building in its earlier uses.

          I will track down more on its origin in the next few days keeping all
          advised.

          PKL.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
            Paul, et. al.,

            I don't have a copy of it here in college, the book "Trolleys Down the
            Mohawk Valley" shows some pictures of the old trolley stops. I'm not 100%
            certain of this, but I think one picture shows a trolley stop being used as
            a gas station... the book isn't well organized but a good check though it
            might reveal the picture if it exists.

            -Aaron

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
              A while ago we were having a discussion about slide, negative, and flatbed
              scanners.

              Here at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University,
              the photo department uses the following:

              Nikon LS-1000 35mm Film Scanners. These scan strip negatives and slides.
              I've ran them up to 3200 DPI with excellent results.

              We also use several HP ScanJet 4C models to scan prints and what-not. We
              don't use them as much as the negative scanners but they're still pretty
              good.

              If anyone is going to use negative and slide scanners, I like the LS-1000
              that I've used at Newhouse.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
                There is a pic in there of the Rockton wye in 1956, but by that time the
                building had been moved to Perth. I will try to get a couple of photos of
                the building in its gas station days and endeavor to make the connection
                with a particular location.

                PKL