Modeling the FJG

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2004
      I can sympathize Steve. I modeled Fonda to Johnstown for about ten years. What I did, was to create the NYC in Fonda that was mostly a loop to create traffic and then have the FJG as a shortline connection that went around the rest of the room. I like big time Class 1 operations with a lot of freight traffic, so that plan did not work for me over the long term.

      I have  the 3D Railroad Concept and Design CAD program that I bought at the NMRA convention in San Jose 4 years ago. This has been a great help to me although I've never used the 3D features. My advice is to do lots and lots of planning and research before anything else. Two of the best plan designers were Frank Ellison, long time gone, and John Armstrong who recently died. All their articles are available in book form or through the NMRA library.

      I am about a year into my current layout construction. It is a freelanced NYC plan. I'm creating fantasy city somewhere in the Mohawk Valley, about the size of Albany or larger,circa 1960-65. This is good concept, since it allows you to capture the flavor of a particular era and location without being bound to the appearance of an actual city. And you can collect scenes and structures from anywhere that fit your plan.
      Saul

    • stevefjg30
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2004
        Thanks Saul i'm having a hard time taking it down.All the track is
        now up from Broadalbin to Johnstown.I'm happy to be starting a new
        railroad.A little scared of the thought of not having anywere to run
        for a month or two,i hope to have Rigby yard in and running by
        Christmas.I will miss the nice scenery on the FJG layout but it held
        no operating interest.I would have a operating night and half the
        pepole would be lost or with nothing to do.I think maybe when we move
        someday i think i will give it a shot again but do it the right way
        this time.Double decks Fonda, J-town yard and more of the industries
        in the two city's.I'm saving the whole High Bridge scene that will be
        in the new crew lounge.The section is about six feet long and i will
        use on the next FJ&G layout.Everyone askes if i'm done with the FJ&G
        all together.NOWAY!!!!!!!! the FJ&G is my favorite railroad It's just
        time for a modeling change.This layout will be run by a dispacher
        with my computer and will have signals on some of it.The B&M and MEC
        are two of my favorites so i think i'll give it a shot.I know Gino
        was concerned that i would lose interest in the FJ&G.That will never
        happen.I will still be at the mettings and doing what i can to help
        pepole on this list..Just wanted to let evry one what was going on.

        Steve L

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@c...>