Re: Panoramas

  • Glenn J. Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
      Gino,

      Thanks for making the photos available again.

      The one for Cayadutta Street in Gloversville was apparently taken
      whenever the 1929 Chandler was announced, for that fact is heralded
      on the sign over the dealership door. I suspect that the others were
      taken around that time.

      What struck me was how little things seemed to change from then until
      the late 50s, say 1959. Then everything changed! We saw this August
      how little of what is seen in the street scenes remains today.

      This makes me even more thankful that someone had the presence of
      mind (even if s/he didn't know it) to make a photographic record of
      that moment in time.

      Glenn
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
        Glenn,

        In the State Street, Johnstown picture the movie playing is from 1928.
        Of course, if Johnstown
        was behind the times in those days, it may be a late run for a film...

        Gino

        On Sep 14, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Glenn J. Williams wrote:

        > Gino,
        >
        > Thanks for making the photos available again.
        >
        > The one for Cayadutta Street in Gloversville was apparently taken
        > whenever the 1929 Chandler was announced, for that fact is heralded
        > on the sign over the dealership door.  I suspect that the others were
        > taken around that time.
        >
        > What struck me was how little things seemed to change from then until
        > the late 50s, say 1959.  Then everything changed!  We saw this August
        > how little of what is seen in the street scenes remains today.
        >
        > This makes me even more thankful that someone had the presence of
        > mind (even if s/he didn't know it) to make a photographic record of
        > that moment in time.
        >
        >      Glenn

      • Dick Ryall