Panoramas

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2004
      Panoramas

      Hi guys,

      A while back I posted a bunch of panoramas of Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville
      From 1928.  Not necessarily FJ&G pictures, but they all do include some aspect
      Of the railroad in them.  There's been a lot of new members lately and I'm sure
      They haven't seen these.  Here is the link…

      http://fjgrr.org/panoramas

      These shots are courtesy of group member Dave Refue…

      Enjoy!

      Gino

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York
      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com

    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
        Gino,

        Thanks for making the photos available again.

        The one for Cayadutta Street in Gloversville was apparently taken
        whenever the 1929 Chandler was announced, for that fact is heralded
        on the sign over the dealership door. I suspect that the others were
        taken around that time.

        What struck me was how little things seemed to change from then until
        the late 50s, say 1959. Then everything changed! We saw this August
        how little of what is seen in the street scenes remains today.

        This makes me even more thankful that someone had the presence of
        mind (even if s/he didn't know it) to make a photographic record of
        that moment in time.

        Glenn
      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
          Glenn,

          In the State Street, Johnstown picture the movie playing is from 1928.
          Of course, if Johnstown
          was behind the times in those days, it may be a late run for a film...

          Gino

          On Sep 14, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Glenn J. Williams wrote:

          > Gino,
          >
          > Thanks for making the photos available again.
          >
          > The one for Cayadutta Street in Gloversville was apparently taken
          > whenever the 1929 Chandler was announced, for that fact is heralded
          > on the sign over the dealership door.  I suspect that the others were
          > taken around that time.
          >
          > What struck me was how little things seemed to change from then until
          > the late 50s, say 1959.  Then everything changed!  We saw this August
          > how little of what is seen in the street scenes remains today.
          >
          > This makes me even more thankful that someone had the presence of
          > mind (even if s/he didn't know it) to make a photographic record of
          > that moment in time.
          >
          >      Glenn

        • Dick Ryall