Re: [FJGRailroad] Gloversville made our Paper!

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
      Hi Paul,

      I forgot to mention that on my 1930 trip to Prescott, we reached Prescott via the ferry from Ogdensburg, NY. There were no bridges across the St. Lawrence River in that area. This was my first ride on a ferry boat. Also my great uncle Avery Gibson, who worked in Prescott, bought a 1931 Pontiac from a Brockville dealer. After his death in 1944, I inherited this car. Uncle Avery had taught me to drive on this car and it then became the first car that I ever owned. The Brockville dealer's name was displayed on the cover for the spare tire.

      Yes the memories were all good ones.

      Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
        Hi Malcolm,

        Yes, that ferry ran into the late '50s until the bridge was built.
        Canadian Pacific also ran a rail car ferry to the 'Burg to connect with
        the NYC.

        My father tells me your uncle probably bought his Pontiac from
        Beacock's, the largest, most modern dealership in Brockville at the
        time, had the first glassed in showroom in town. His father worked
        there at the time as a mechanic... small world!

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
          There was a husband and wife named Gibson who rented a house on my great
          grandparents place out on the Johnstown-Carogra Lake road (Rt 29). Thier
          kids lived in Mayfield I think.

          >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Gloversville made our Paper!
          >Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:42:56 -0400
          >
          >Hi Malcolm,
          >
          >I was hoping this would spark someone's memory, hope they were good
          >ones! I live in Brockville, 12 miles west of Prescott.
          >
          >Paul :-)
          >
          >Malcolm Horton wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > In Gloversville, the Superior Silk Mill was a three story brick mill
          > > on the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and 12 th Avenue (now Grandoe
          > > lane). It made cloth for underwear etc. Jasper J. Stanyon was a
          > > native of Wells, NY who had moved to Gloversville. He had a brother,
          > > Roscoe Stanyon, who owned the Imperial Glove Co. on West Eighth Ave.
          > > My grandfather owned a carpenter shop located at 11 Maple Avenue,
          > > next door to the Superior Silk Mill. As a boy, I spent a lot of time
          > > at his shop and got to know many of the employees of the adjacent
          > > silk mill. My great uncle, Avery Gibson, worked at the mill and moved
          > > to Prescott, Ontario, Canada where he lived for five years as foreman
          > > of the dye shop in the Superior Silk Mill there. After five years he
          > > retired and moved back to Gloversville. I recall visiting him in
          > > Prescott in 1930 (I was 7 years old). We drove in my grandfather's
          > > 1923 Oldsmobile touring car, an open car having a V-8 engine. It
          > > behaved flawlessly for the entire trip. I still drive Oldsmobiles.
          > > Thanks for reviving the memories.
          > >
          > > Malcolm Horton

        • Malcolm Horton
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
            Hi Joe,

            Thanks for the Gibson information. My maternal grandmother was a Gibson and she had only one brother, the Avery Gibson that worked in Prescott. He never married. Our Gibson line emigrated from Ireland via Canada in the early 1800's.
            Gibson is a fairly common name. I have been told that it is a contraction for "Gilbert's Son" and there have certainly been lots of Gilberts around the British Isles.