Gloversville made our Paper!

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4 5:17 AM
      Hi All,

      Not an FJ&G article but a Gloversville article from a column called "On
      This Date" that features an article of interest from 25, 50, 75, 100,
      and 125 years ago... thought you might find this interesting:

      On This Date

      September 1

      75 Years Ago

      1929 - A Dominion charter has
      been granted to Superior Silk Mills,
      Limited, with capital of $25,000 and
      with head office in Prescott. The
      incorporators are Jasper J. Stanyon,
      Robert N. Russell, and Roy Putnam,
      all of Gloversville N.Y.; Albert O.
      Heilner, of Pelham, N.Y.; and P. K.
      Halpin, of Prescott.

      Paul :-)
    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4 11:04 AM
        Hi All,

            In Gloversville, the Superior Silk Mill was a three story brick mill on the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and 12 th Avenue (now Grandoe lane). It made cloth for underwear etc. Jasper J. Stanyon was a native of Wells, NY who had moved to Gloversville. He had a brother, Roscoe Stanyon, who owned the Imperial Glove Co. on West Eighth Ave.
            My grandfather owned a carpenter shop located at 11 Maple Avenue, next door to the Superior Silk Mill. As a boy, I spent a lot of time at his shop and got to know many of the employees of the adjacent silk mill.
            My great uncle, Avery Gibson, worked at the mill and moved to Prescott, Ontario, Canada where he lived for five years as foreman of the dye shop in the Superior Silk Mill there. After five years he retired and moved back to Gloversville. I recall visiting him in Prescott in 1930 (I was 7 years old). We drove in my grandfather's 1923 Oldsmobile touring car, an open car having a V-8 engine. It behaved flawlessly for the entire trip. I still drive Oldsmobiles.
            Thanks for reviving the memories.

        Malcolm Horton
        Not an FJ&G article but a Gloversville article from a column called "On
        This Date" that features an article of interest from 25, 50, 75, 100,
        and 125 years ago... thought you might find this interesting:

        On This Date

        September 1

        75 Years Ago

        1929 - A Dominion charter has
        been granted to Superior Silk Mills,
        Limited, with capital of $25,000 and
        with head office in Prescott.  The
        incorporators are Jasper J. Stanyon,
        Robert N. Russell, and Roy Putnam,
        all of Gloversville N.Y.; Albert O.
        Heilner, of Pelham, N.Y.; and P. K.
        Halpin, of Prescott.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        http://fjgrr.org
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5 5:42 PM
          Hi Malcolm,

          I was hoping this would spark someone's memory, hope they were good
          ones! I live in Brockville, 12 miles west of Prescott.

          Paul :-)

          Malcolm Horton wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > In Gloversville, the Superior Silk Mill was a three story brick mill
          > on the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and 12 th Avenue (now Grandoe
          > lane). It made cloth for underwear etc. Jasper J. Stanyon was a
          > native of Wells, NY who had moved to Gloversville. He had a brother,
          > Roscoe Stanyon, who owned the Imperial Glove Co. on West Eighth Ave.
          > My grandfather owned a carpenter shop located at 11 Maple Avenue,
          > next door to the Superior Silk Mill. As a boy, I spent a lot of time
          > at his shop and got to know many of the employees of the adjacent
          > silk mill. My great uncle, Avery Gibson, worked at the mill and moved
          > to Prescott, Ontario, Canada where he lived for five years as foreman
          > of the dye shop in the Superior Silk Mill there. After five years he
          > retired and moved back to Gloversville. I recall visiting him in
          > Prescott in 1930 (I was 7 years old). We drove in my grandfather's
          > 1923 Oldsmobile touring car, an open car having a V-8 engine. It
          > behaved flawlessly for the entire trip. I still drive Oldsmobiles.
          > Thanks for reviving the memories.
          >
          > Malcolm Horton
        • Malcolm Horton
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5 8:18 PM
            Hi Paul,

            I forgot to mention that on my 1930 trip to Prescott, we reached Prescott via the ferry from Ogdensburg, NY. There were no bridges across the St. Lawrence River in that area. This was my first ride on a ferry boat. Also my great uncle Avery Gibson, who worked in Prescott, bought a 1931 Pontiac from a Brockville dealer. After his death in 1944, I inherited this car. Uncle Avery had taught me to drive on this car and it then became the first car that I ever owned. The Brockville dealer's name was displayed on the cover for the spare tire.

            Yes the memories were all good ones.

            Malcolm Horton

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6 4:43 AM
              Hi Malcolm,

              Yes, that ferry ran into the late '50s until the bridge was built.
              Canadian Pacific also ran a rail car ferry to the 'Burg to connect with
              the NYC.

              My father tells me your uncle probably bought his Pontiac from
              Beacock's, the largest, most modern dealership in Brockville at the
              time, had the first glassed in showroom in town. His father worked
              there at the time as a mechanic... small world!

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6 7:44 PM
                There was a husband and wife named Gibson who rented a house on my great
                grandparents place out on the Johnstown-Carogra Lake road (Rt 29). Thier
                kids lived in Mayfield I think.

                >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Gloversville made our Paper!
                >Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:42:56 -0400
                >
                >Hi Malcolm,
                >
                >I was hoping this would spark someone's memory, hope they were good
                >ones! I live in Brockville, 12 miles west of Prescott.
                >
                >Paul :-)
                >
                >Malcolm Horton wrote:
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > In Gloversville, the Superior Silk Mill was a three story brick mill
                > > on the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and 12 th Avenue (now Grandoe
                > > lane). It made cloth for underwear etc. Jasper J. Stanyon was a
                > > native of Wells, NY who had moved to Gloversville. He had a brother,
                > > Roscoe Stanyon, who owned the Imperial Glove Co. on West Eighth Ave.
                > > My grandfather owned a carpenter shop located at 11 Maple Avenue,
                > > next door to the Superior Silk Mill. As a boy, I spent a lot of time
                > > at his shop and got to know many of the employees of the adjacent
                > > silk mill. My great uncle, Avery Gibson, worked at the mill and moved
                > > to Prescott, Ontario, Canada where he lived for five years as foreman
                > > of the dye shop in the Superior Silk Mill there. After five years he
                > > retired and moved back to Gloversville. I recall visiting him in
                > > Prescott in 1930 (I was 7 years old). We drove in my grandfather's
                > > 1923 Oldsmobile touring car, an open car having a V-8 engine. It
                > > behaved flawlessly for the entire trip. I still drive Oldsmobiles.
                > > Thanks for reviving the memories.
                > >
                > > Malcolm Horton

              • Malcolm Horton
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6 8:07 PM
                  Hi Joe,

                  Thanks for the Gibson information. My maternal grandmother was a Gibson and she had only one brother, the Avery Gibson that worked in Prescott. He never married. Our Gibson line emigrated from Ireland via Canada in the early 1800's.
                  Gibson is a fairly common name. I have been told that it is a contraction for "Gilbert's Son" and there have certainly been lots of Gilberts around the British Isles.