4th Annual Get Together

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2004
      4th Annual Get Together

      Well, the 4th Annual Get Together has come and gone.  As usual, always an interesting
      Time.  The get together actually started out Friday night in Brunswick, New York.  A few
      Of us got together at the Lamora residence to play with Steve's great FJ&G Layout.  We
      Even got to see me spill 2 hoppers of coal near the Gloversville Station.  Sorry Steve!

      On Saturday, we started out in Fonda and spent the better part of an hour exploring the old ROW,
      Watching CSX and Amtrak and just shooting the breeze in the Railside Diner parking lot.
      The real entertainment started when the owner came and yelled at us.  Nice to meet you too!

      Second, a nice little walk up the FJ&G ROW to just about MP1.  An exploration of the High
      Bridge would follow.  Steve Lamora watched us from up top while we ducked some rain-drops
      Underneath.

      A trip to the Wemple & Edicks Country Store sure hit the spot.  Not FJ&G related, but the
      Sammonsville Crossing wasn't far and homemade ice cream IS homemade ice cream.

      A trip to Lake's Crossing and an exploration of the former Knox Gelatin plant would follow.
      Once again, a curious owner, but better results.  This guy was just concerned with who all these
      Visitors were, but he did allow us free reign over his property along with a little history.

      Johnstown Yards was our next stop.  We saw first hand that almost no trace of the FJ&G
      Remains in the area.  Only a die-hard would know that Arrow Finishing is the old station.
      The bridge over the Cayadutta remains, but not much more.

      After some of our members went to the re-dedication of the Sacandaga Park Station, others
      Stayed behind to trace more of the ROW through Johnstown.  After a cloud-burst, we all
      Converged on the Rail Yard Restaurant in Gloversville.

      Make your plans for next year.  A day at the library with show and tell and FJ&G movies
      Looks like the order of business.  No walking for our friends who can't take too much of
      It.  It promises to be a day of education that I know you'll enjoy it!

      Thanks again for all who made the trip.  Saul and Felicia Kalbfeld from Michigan, Glenn Williams
      From New Hampshire, Dick and Sandra Finn from Massachusetts, Paul and Sally Larner from
      Vermont, Walt Danylak from Syracuse, Malcolm Horton and Kay Stevens from Schenectady,
      Jerry Snyder and family from Amsterdam, Myself and Kelly DiCarlo from Saratoga and Steve
      And Jamie Lamora from Troy, New York.  We missed the rest of you!

      Side notes…

      A drunk in Johnstown gave us a tour of the bridge in Johnstown and details on what a 6-pack
      Could get you.  Fudger Decorators in Johnstown deserves a thank you for letting us wait the
      storm out.  Also, you've never seen three grown men run so fast when we realized we were
      Standing on a bees nest in the former coal house in Gloversville.  No one was stung!
      Congratulation to Saul Kalbfeld.  He won the prize for traveling the furthest.  He received
      A hard-cover book on CONRAIL that I know he'll enjoy...

      Pictures to come!

      Gino

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York
      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
        For all of us to plan: next year, 2005, the annual meeting will be the
        FIRSTSaturday in August, whatever date that is. PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS
        before your kids plan a wedding for that date like mine did two years ago
        (they changed it to Friday evening).

        PKL

      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
          I would like to thank Gino and Paul Larner for the effort involved in
          creating the guidebook we each received upon arrival.

          As has been mentioned before, without a booklet such as this, you
          wouldn't know that a railroad had been there, so complete has been
          its removal.

          The walk of the ROW proved once again how quickly nature takes over
          without someone to keep things pruned and plucked. It wasn't too far
          in from any grade crossing before it was weeds, brush and more of the
          same. Someone (Gino, I think) suggested doing it again in the
          spring, before the foliage obscured things.

          I also want to thank Gino for the two magnets he created for each of
          the attendees, one showing the old diamond emblem, with the other
          showing the neon FJ&G RR Co sign once above the Gloversville freight
          house office. Mine now proudly occupy positions of honour on my beer
          fridge door!

          Glenn
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
            Message
            If anyone out there would like some FJ&G magnets, just send me a SASE
            and I'll send some back.

            Gino DiCarlo
            63 Trottingham Rd.
            Saratoga Springs, NY

[...]