Re: [FJGRailroad] TR at North Creek

  • psefton@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2000
      I shudder to recall some of what my high school teachers dished out---and I want to high school when education was supposedly of higher quality...

      Doesn't have much to do with any subject in the group, but check out http://www.bhere.com/downtown/mcfrontdoor.htm
      for a unique railroad experience.

      Date: Saturday, April 08, 2000 1:20 PM
      > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] TR at
      North Creek

      > >Aaron has most of the story, but there
      are 2 assasinations telescoped into
      > 1
      > >here...
      > >
      > >The president shot by a disgruntled office seeker was James
      Garfield.
      > >Ironically this happened in the long-vanished Washington,
      DC Railroad depot
      > >which stood on the present day Capitol Mall.
      Chester A. Arthur, his
      > >successor and the father of the Civil
      Service, is a patron saint of we
      > >present day bureaucrats.
      > >
      > >The McKinley assasination took place a generation later in
      1901. It
      > occurred
      > >while McKinley was shaking hands at a
      Worlds Fair type exposition in
      > >Buffalo, and the assasain was a
      self-styled "anarchist" who had a pistol
      > >concealed in a bandaged
      hand. The shooting was actually filmed by an Edison
      > >cameraman.
      However, only nitrate film was available, and the McKinley clip
      > >disintegrated while in the hands of ( I believe) the National
      Archives.

      > >McKinley, a Civil War veteran,  actually
      lived for about 2 weeks after the
      > >shooting. At one point he was
      thought to be out of danger, which is why TR
      > >felt free to go
      hunting. TR was tracked down in the woods when McKinley

      <aakeller@...>
      <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      > >Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2000 10:58 AM
      > >Subject: Re:
      [FJGRailroad] D&H to North Creek

      The horse carriage Roosevelt rode in is in the Adirondack Museum, Blue
      > >Mtn.
      > >> Lake.  Roosevelt was in the Adirondacks hunting
      and McKinley was
      > >shot/killed
      > >> in Buffalo by someone
      upset about government patronage jobs.  North Creek
      > >> was
      the nearest place Roosevelt could go to get the telegraph telling

      that
      > >> McKinley was shot, and that Roosevelt had become
      president.  The upshot,
      > >> Roosevelt became president, and
      the government enacted Civil Service laws
      > >> try to
      get rid of a lot of government patronage jobs.

      -Aaron

      href="mailto:gdicarlo@...">gdicarlo@...>

      To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      > >> Date: Friday, April 07, 2000 10:14 PM
      > >> Subject: Re:
      [FJGRailroad] D&H to North Creek

      Feds.
      > >> President
      was going into office while vacationing up in the North Creek

      area?
      think.  Correct me if Im
      > >> wrong...

      in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as