Re: [FJGRailroad] Kingsboro

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
      The Kingsboro station was not used in the 50's (or 40's and maybe the 30's).
      The electric wiring to it was abandoned when the beltline trolleys ceased running passed it in 1928 (it was 600 volts d-c with five light 120 volt light bulbs in series for each light fixture and powered by the trolley wire).

      Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
        As a station "Kingsboro Avenue" ceased to exist at midnight June 27, 1938.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
          Malcolm,

          My emails to you keep getting sent back.  Did you change your address?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
            Hi Paul and All,

            The station was in great shape into the '60s so even if it was not still
            in use it's worth drawing.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
              Make that 2:00 a.m. Sorry. Sammonsville service ceased at the same time
              according to the timetables and supplements. Vail Mills (variously Vail's
              and Vails) remained listed as station into the DO years. This likely had to
              do with the publication of the "Open and Prepay" book and tariffs, whereas
              Kingsboro Avenue became part of Gloversville.

              Does anyone have an "Open and Prepay" for the years 1938 and 1939 and can
              see how the FJ&G stations were described.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
                It's interesting when you look at Kingsboro. I don't know whether it was
                manned in the thirties or even in the twenties (would think so until 1930),
                but there were as many as eleven daily except Sunday through trains (9 were
                gas cars, since there was a morning mixed to Broadalbin and an afternoon
                mixed to Northville) in each direction stopping there in 1929. Add to the
                mix the belt line trolley, that's pretty good transportation in the day
                before everyone could afford their own automobile.

                PKL

                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Kingsboro
                >Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:20:57 -0500
                >
                >Malcolm,
                >
                >My emails to you keep getting sent back. Did you change your address?
                >
                >Gino

              • Malcolm Horton
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
                  Gino,

                  Same address.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
                    My grandparents were natives of Hope Falls (in Hamilton County about five miles north of Northville). They moved to Gloversville in about 1888 and built a house on Newman Street about one block from the Kingsboro station. For many years they got their potatoes and salted meat from relatives still living in Hope Falls. These would be shipped from Northville to Kingsboro via the FJ&G. Grandfather had a large wheelbarrow and would bring the provisions home from the station in it. A potato bin in the cellar was used to store the potatoes and the meat came in barrels and would be transferred to large ceramic crocks for long-term storage in the basement. Transportation from Hope Falls to Northville was by horse and buckboard.

                    Malcolm Horton
                    It's interesting when you look at Kingsboro.   I don't know whether it was
                    manned in the thirties or even in the twenties (would think so until 1930),
                    but there were as many as eleven daily except Sunday through trains (9 were
                    gas cars, since there was a morning mixed to Broadalbin and an afternoon
                    mixed to Northville) in each direction stopping there in 1929.  Add to the
                    mix the belt line trolley, that's pretty good transportation in the day
                    before everyone could afford their own automobile.

                    PKL

                    >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Kingsboro
                    >Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:20:57 -0500
                    >
                    >Malcolm,
                    >
                    >My emails to you keep getting sent back.  Did you change your address?
                    >
                    >Gino

                  • Walt Danylak
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2004
                      <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:

                      Hi guys,

                      Anyone know if the Kingsboro Station was used in to the 50's for the
                      mixed train to Broadalbin? Any uses for the railroad after that? I
                      know it was torn down in 1960...

                      Gino,

                      During the winter of 55-56, the YMCA sponored a round trip ride from
                      Gloversville to Broadalbin. If I remember correctly the ride was
                      fifty cents. I was lucky enough to be on this trip. I walked down to
                      the station on Fulton Street to get the train but on the return trip
                      from Broadalbin, I asked if the train could stop at the Kingsboro
                      station so I could get off, my home being on East State Street. It
                      did, so I consider myself the "last offical passenger" to use the
                      Kingsboro station. From what I understand, the train would stop
                      almost any place a paying passenger wanted it to.

                      Walt