Today's Auburn NY wreck

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8 5:09 PM
      Our little local shortline, The Fingerlakes
      Railroad, suffered an incredible wreck today
      here in Auburn, NY (half hour from Syracuse).

      While crossing the usually tranquil Owasco
      River tressle in downtown Auburn, a west-bound
      freight had its 10th car derail and yank five
      of the ones in front of it off the tracks. Of
      the six cars derailed, two de-tracked in
      spectacle fashion. One box car tumbled down
      the tressle's embankment into the parking lot
      of a popular el fresco lunchery (entertainment
      with outdoor lunch today, folks), while another
      box car rolled into the river.

      Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

      Go online for the July 9th edition of the Auburn
      Citizen newspaper at www.auburnpub.com for
      what should be impressive photos.---Andy Fusco
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9 4:14 AM
        Andy,

        Nothing on the wreck. I hope it doesn't hurt the Fingerlakes Road.
        That's a great little short line!

        Our little local shortline, The Fingerlakes
        Railroad, suffered an incredible wreck today
        here in Auburn, NY (half hour from Syracuse).

        While crossing the usually tranquil Owasco
        River tressle in downtown Auburn, a west-bound
        freight had its 10th car derail and yank five
        of the ones in front of it off the tracks. Of
        the six cars derailed, two de-tracked in
        spectacle fashion. One box car tumbled down
        the tressle's embankment into the parking lot
        of a popular el fresco lunchery (entertainment
        with outdoor lunch today, folks), while another
        box car rolled into the river.

        Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

        Go online for the July 9th edition of the Auburn
        Citizen newspaper at www.auburnpub.com for
        what should be impressive photos.---Andy Fusco

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        http://fjgrr.org
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • andrewsfusco
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9 6:45 AM
          I talked to work crews this morning. The wreck was the result
          of the track bowing out of gauge just to the northeast side of
          the State Street grade crossing. The trestle sustained no
          significant damage, just a couple of bent lengths of rail and
          some scrape ties, and rail traffic is expected to resume Monday.

          Gino, watch your Time Warner all news station for video. The
          TW outlets in Syracuse, Albany and Scranton tend to share stories
          when the video is good.---Andy

          <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>