Coal Houses

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8 8:09 AM
      Can someone set us straight on the various coal houses, silos businesses in town.
      Especially the coal barns in the G'vile yard and behind the station. Also the trestle
      across from Jones and Naughton and the silos on Kingsboro. The coal house in
      J'town Yard next to the freight house and the one behind Washington Street in J'town.
      Now there's the Coal Co. Of Fulton County and Glove City Coal, right? Any others?

      Gino

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8 9:16 AM
        Gino,

        There was an Independent Coal Co. in Gloversville also another run by Raymond Brown in Johnstown.

        Malcolm
        Can someone set us straight on the various coal houses, silos businesses in town.
        Especially the coal barns in the G'vile yard and behind the station.  Also the trestle
        across from Jones and Naughton and the silos on Kingsboro.  The coal house in
        J'town Yard next to the freight house and the one behind Washington Street in J'town.
        Now there's the Coal Co. Of Fulton County and Glove City Coal, right?  Any others?

        Gino

        Gino DiCarlo
        Imaging

        Quad/Imaging
        A Division of Quad/Graphics

        Saratoga Springs, New York

        518-581-4276 phone
        gino.dicarlo@...
        www.QG.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        http://fjgrr.org
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8 12:42 PM
          Looks good Steve. I forgot about Independent Coal in Gloversville.
          I know of all the coal houses, but wasn't sure on who owned them.
          The FCC trestle on 11th ave. was torn down in 1960. Not sure when
          they stopped receiving coal there, but that's when the trestle was
          torn down. I want to say that the city received rock salt there after
          it was used for coal, right?

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8 12:58 PM
            Steve,

            There are a few corrections and many additions. Are you planning an article
            on the FJ&G coal houses or just for your information?

            PKL

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8 3:22 PM
              Walt,

              I was told by a friend who used to play on the trestle that it was torn down in
              1960.  His friend fell off it, broke his arm and they ripped it down right after.
              I knew they unloaded cement there and have pictures of cement hoppers
              on the trestle.  Someone told me that they unloaded rock salt there too!

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8 5:14 PM
                Yes.

                PKL

                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Coal Houses
                >Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:09:29 -0500
                >
                >Can someone set us straight on the various coal houses, silos businesses in
                >town.
                >Especially the coal barns in the G'vile yard and behind the station. Also
                >the trestle
                >across from Jones and Naughton and the silos on Kingsboro. The coal house
                >in
                >J'town Yard next to the freight house and the one behind Washington Street
                >in J'town.
                >Now there's the Coal Co. Of Fulton County and Glove City Coal, right? Any
                >others?
                >
                >Gino
                >
                >Gino DiCarlo
                >Imaging
                >
                >Quad/Imaging
                >A Division of Quad/Graphics
                >
                >Saratoga Springs, New York
                >
                >518-581-4276 phone
                >gino.dicarlo@...
                >www.QG.com

              • stevefjg30
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8 9:45 PM
                  Both Paul, I MIGHT DO A ARTICAL ON BROWNS COAL HOUSE?AND GLOVE CITY
                  COAL THEY ASKED ME TO ONE ON GLOVE CITY COAL WHEN I START TO BUILD IT.
                  THEY BEING RAILMODEL JOURNAL.

                  STEVE L

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 9 5:01 AM
                    Hi Steve,

                    The Glove City Coal silo would actually be a great thing to do if you
                    could provide a drawing with basic measurements. These structures were
                    all over the place at one time, a standard Reading Coal design. Don't
                    imagine there are too many of them left and I've never seen drawings of
                    them in any of the magazines.

                    I finally got my hands on a friends copy of Railmodel Journal with your
                    FJ&G article and was very impressed! I can see why they asked you to do
                    the Glove City coal silo, there was some valuable detail shots included
                    in your article. Great layout as well, back in the '80s I had a 24'
                    long HO "Fonda" layout that lasted six months before being evicted in
                    favor of a family room. Even at 24' it was too small, but a lot of fun
                    while it was here!

                    Paul :-)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 9 6:57 AM
                      Steve, the reason I asked, as you may have guessed, is because the coal
                      business in Fulton County represented better than 50 per cent of the FJ&G
                      freight revenue thus is an important part of this history I'm putting
                      together.

                      I can satiate you with information (you now have the photos) or ask you to
                      wait for the book and then happily fill with anything not answered therein.
                      Needless to say, I am lately receiving a better understanding of other's
                      actions I once viewed as selfish as opposed to self protective.

                      PKL

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9 6:21 PM
                          Hi Paul

                          I 'am not doing a artical about the coal company's just on how to
                          build them in HO Scale.The only two i was going to do was Glove City
                          and Browns Coal.I was just wondering about the other stuff i'am not
                          using it for a artical.The history stuff i'll leave to your book.Just
                          wanted to let you know what i was up to.

                          wrote:
                          > Steve, the reason I asked, as you may have guessed, is because the
                          coal
                          > business in Fulton County represented better than 50 per cent of
                          the FJ&G
                          > freight revenue thus is an important part of this history I'm
                          putting
                          > together.
                          >
                          > I can satiate you with information (you now have the photos) or ask
                          you to
                          > wait for the book and then happily fill with anything not answered
                          therein.
                          > Needless to say, I am lately receiving a better understanding of
                          other's
                          > actions I once viewed as selfish as opposed to self protective.
                          >
                          > PKL
                          >

                          > >From: "stevefjg30" <Klcl19@w...>
                          > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Coal Houses
                          > >Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:45:06 -0000
                          > >
                          > >Both Paul, I MIGHT DO A ARTICAL ON BROWNS COAL HOUSE?AND GLOVE CITY
                          > >COAL THEY ASKED ME TO ONE ON GLOVE CITY COAL WHEN I START TO BUILD
                          IT.
                          > >THEY BEING RAILMODEL JOURNAL.
                          > >
                          > >STEVE L
                          > >

                          > >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                          > >wrote:
                          > > > Steve,
                          > > >
                          > > > There are a few corrections and many additions. Are you
                          planning
                          > >an article
                          > > > on the FJ&G coal houses or just for your information?
                          > > >
                          > > > PKL

                          Gloversville.
                          > >after

                        • stevefjg30
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 9 6:34 PM
                            Thank You very much Paul C i'am glad you enjoyed it.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 9 6:53 PM
                              Hi Steve,

                              I've enjoyed it five or six times since the magazine was dropped off
                              last night!

                              Paul :-)

                              stevefjg30 wrote:
                              > Thank You very much Paul C i'am glad you enjoyed it.
                              >
                              > Steve L
                            • stevefjg30
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 9 7:18 PM
                                Hey Paul if you have any questions about anything in the artical e-
                                mail me.The most asked question is the D&H section.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 11 4:26 AM
                                  Hi Steve,

                                  That one's easy... 'The D&H section is there to generate enough traffic
                                  to make the "other half" of the railroad worth modeling'... sound about
                                  right?!

                                  Paul :-)

                                  stevefjg30 wrote:
                                  > Hey Paul if you have any questions about anything in the artical e-
                                  > mail me.The most asked question is the D&H section.
                                  >
                                  > Steve L
                                • stevefjg30
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 11 8:19 PM
                                    Thats it Paul right on the money.And the idea has worked well so far.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 12 4:17 AM
                                      Hi Steve,

                                      I often thought of ending a layout just past Mohawk Cabinets and having
                                      it go into a small hidden staging area for just this reason. That's a
                                      long chunk of layout for so little traffic. I am drawing this in 3PI as
                                      it's not costing anything other then time, and being as it will be mid
                                      '50s, the mixed will still be running and there is a bit more traffic on
                                      it back then.

                                      Paul :-)

                                      stevefjg30 wrote:

                                      > Thats it Paul right on the money.And the idea has worked well so far.
                                      >

                                      > Steve l
                                    • stevefjg30
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 12 4:48 PM
                                        Hi Paul

                                        Ya i started modeling the 70's but found i liked the 40's and
                                        50's.The D&H and was a great idea when i thought of it.If i had to do
                                        it again i would have used that space to do a condenced Fonda and had
                                        NYC staging in the garage and under the layout.With scenery in place
                                        in the D&H yard that thought went out the window.If you look on the
                                        plan in the magazine there is another railroad that interchanges with
                                        the D&H and FJ&G in the yard,the Southern Adirondack a railroad that
                                        i made up this railroad has turned into a big project the railroad
                                        takes up whats left of the room in the garage and basement.It added
                                        another 75 feet of running with about 1 1/2 feet deep with the
                                        layout.I have been working on this area lately the garage area is
                                        done with track layed,just started on the section in the
                                        basement.When i finish wrighting the story for the railroad i will e-
                                        mail it to you.Every railroad needs a story

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 12 5:42 PM
                                          Hi Steve,

                                          Back in the '80s when I figured out the CV in HO scale was just too big
                                          I started looking for a shortline to model. Went through 800 magazines
                                          and there was no question the FJ&G pretty much fit the bill. As I said
                                          earlier I went as far as building a 24 foot Fonda which was fun to
                                          operate but too short. Seeing as the FJ&G was going to be too big in HO
                                          I eventually started drawing it in N scale, which worked much better is
                                          smaller spaces but I'm still waiting for Life Like to bring out an S-2
                                          in N scale that works.

                                          In the mean time spent fifteen years trying to get other railroads to
                                          work as good as the FJ&G, more customers then miles, connect to an
                                          active Class 1 railroad, back date the line to the mid fifties to
                                          increase traffic, add passenger service, that sort of thing. Well, to
                                          make a long story short... I'm back! I even tried to get the Gouverneur
                                          and Oswegatchie to imitate the FJ&G but couldn't get it to work the
                                          same! They almost had passenger service in the for of their own
                                          gas-electric:

                                          http://paintshop.railfan.net/backlot/go_gas-electric.pc.html

                                          Well, that attempt didn't work out, so now I'm trying it on the computer
                                          as I don't have to worry about having enough space or not!

                                          Paul :-)