Re: [FJGRailroad] The Tremendous Tank

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
      Hi Paul,

      Thanks, I thought it was one of those expansion tanks.

      No, did not receive any photos from you last week. Mail has been a
      little screwed up with all the viruses going around. If it gets too
      much for my ISP to handle they don't seem to have any problem just
      deleting every message with attachments.

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
        Paul:-)

        A little more than my first quick response. NiMo is the Niagara Mohawk
        Corporation which supplied electricity and gas to the Gloversville residents
        and much more of eastern NYState. The round barn in brick and I believe was
        the old gas house. Near the round building those other structurs appear to
        be the remains of the former gas plant. The FJ&G would pull coal (coke?)
        cars in on the long industrial spur ( also serviced a leather company at the
        extreme end, A. Frederick cement was there at one time and I think a lumber
        company unloaded there - may have been another Frederick enterprise as they
        had their hands in a lot of things) then after crossing Hill St. they would
        shove them north up a ramp into the gas plant for unloading. Photos make it
        look like a good sized facility.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
          Ok. Let me try again.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
            Hi Paul,

            Please do, not being from the area these photos sure help!

            I was aware of NYMO electric but didn't know they were into gas as well.
            Thanks for the help.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
              Paul,

              Can you get away for the weekend of August 7th. Down I 81 and east to Fonda
              on I 90; you will enjoy it.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
                Hi Paul,

                Me, no, can hardly drive for more then ten minutes at a time, I'd have
                to start now to make the get together!

                Paul :-)

                paul larner wrote:
                > Paul,
                >
                > Can you get away for the weekend of August 7th. Down I 81 and east to Fonda
                > on I 90; you will enjoy it.
                >
                > PKL
              • stevefjg30
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                  I'll give it a shot Gino

                  Will go from fonda up the line.Let me know if i miss any or get any
                  wrong.

                  FCC Fonda north of rt5 crossing
                  FCC Johnstown in yard very much like the big hose in G-Ville yard but
                  smaller in length.
                  State St between Washington,St I think tis was the first FCC coal
                  house in J-Town,Later purchaced by Karg Brothers????
                  Fort Johnson Coal,Market and Grove Streets
                  Browns Coal later King Coal Perry st J-Town
                  FCC house in the Gloversville yard
                  The old FCC house in the west Yards I think tis was used prior to the
                  them building the big coal barn.
                  FCC Spring ST ??? I think this was also a FCC coal house
                  Indepandent Coal Foster St Gloversville
                  FCC Kingsboro on 11th ave building maybe torn down 50's anyone know
                  this one?????
                  Glove City Coal Kingsboro Ave
                  Broadalbin Coal and Supplies Broadalbin Yard
                  I Think there was a FCC coal house in Northville????????? Any one
                  know abot this i would love to know.

                  Most of the Tannerys recived Coal so there was alot of coal deliverd
                  to privite sidings like the Merry in J-Town or Levors in G-Ville.

                  Please correct me if i'am wrong with any of this.Or if i missed some
                  Especially the Northville line.

                  Steve L

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Any one know what was in the tremendous tank that was near Hill
                  Street
                  > south of Gloversville? It would look to be about 60' high and 50'
                  in
                  > diameter, next to the FJ&G main, but there does not look to be any
                  > siding near it. Blue, Black, Gray?
                  >
                  > Also is that really one of those New England style round barns to
                  the
                  > right of it in this photo:
                  >
                  > http://www.fjgrr.org/ROW2/ROW2-Pages/Image56.html
                  >
                  > Paul :-)
                • Walt Danylak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                    I don't recall seeing coal delivered to the 11th Avenue coalhouse. I
                    remember the whole structure being there but never with a hopper
                    inside. The structure was torn down in the mid 50s but not the
                    trestle. The trestle was used to unload cement for quite a while. I
                    guess the cement was used for the Route 30A by-pass. The coalhouse
                    siding was used all the time for box cars. My guess would be lumber
                    for Kingsboro Lumber Co.

                    Walt