The Tremendous Tank

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
      Hi All,

      Any one know what was in the tremendous tank that was near Hill Street
      south of Gloversville? It would look to be about 60' high and 50' in
      diameter, next to the FJ&G main, but there does not look to be any
      siding near it. Blue, Black, Gray?

      Also is that really one of those New England style round barns to the
      right of it in this photo:

      http://www.fjgrr.org/ROW2/ROW2-Pages/Image56.html

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
        Paul:-)

        Natural gas. Did you get my messages and photos sent last week.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
          Hi Paul,

          Thanks, I thought it was one of those expansion tanks.

          No, did not receive any photos from you last week. Mail has been a
          little screwed up with all the viruses going around. If it gets too
          much for my ISP to handle they don't seem to have any problem just
          deleting every message with attachments.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
            Paul:-)

            A little more than my first quick response. NiMo is the Niagara Mohawk
            Corporation which supplied electricity and gas to the Gloversville residents
            and much more of eastern NYState. The round barn in brick and I believe was
            the old gas house. Near the round building those other structurs appear to
            be the remains of the former gas plant. The FJ&G would pull coal (coke?)
            cars in on the long industrial spur ( also serviced a leather company at the
            extreme end, A. Frederick cement was there at one time and I think a lumber
            company unloaded there - may have been another Frederick enterprise as they
            had their hands in a lot of things) then after crossing Hill St. they would
            shove them north up a ramp into the gas plant for unloading. Photos make it
            look like a good sized facility.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
              Ok. Let me try again.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
                Hi Paul,

                Please do, not being from the area these photos sure help!

                I was aware of NYMO electric but didn't know they were into gas as well.
                Thanks for the help.

                Paul :-)

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
                  Paul,

                  Can you get away for the weekend of August 7th. Down I 81 and east to Fonda
                  on I 90; you will enjoy it.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
                    Hi Paul,

                    Me, no, can hardly drive for more then ten minutes at a time, I'd have
                    to start now to make the get together!

                    Paul :-)

                    paul larner wrote:
                    > Paul,
                    >
                    > Can you get away for the weekend of August 7th. Down I 81 and east to Fonda
                    > on I 90; you will enjoy it.
                    >
                    > PKL
                  • stevefjg30
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                      I'll give it a shot Gino

                      Will go from fonda up the line.Let me know if i miss any or get any
                      wrong.

                      FCC Fonda north of rt5 crossing
                      FCC Johnstown in yard very much like the big hose in G-Ville yard but
                      smaller in length.
                      State St between Washington,St I think tis was the first FCC coal
                      house in J-Town,Later purchaced by Karg Brothers????
                      Fort Johnson Coal,Market and Grove Streets
                      Browns Coal later King Coal Perry st J-Town
                      FCC house in the Gloversville yard
                      The old FCC house in the west Yards I think tis was used prior to the
                      them building the big coal barn.
                      FCC Spring ST ??? I think this was also a FCC coal house
                      Indepandent Coal Foster St Gloversville
                      FCC Kingsboro on 11th ave building maybe torn down 50's anyone know
                      this one?????
                      Glove City Coal Kingsboro Ave
                      Broadalbin Coal and Supplies Broadalbin Yard
                      I Think there was a FCC coal house in Northville????????? Any one
                      know abot this i would love to know.

                      Most of the Tannerys recived Coal so there was alot of coal deliverd
                      to privite sidings like the Merry in J-Town or Levors in G-Ville.

                      Please correct me if i'am wrong with any of this.Or if i missed some
                      Especially the Northville line.

                      Steve L

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > Any one know what was in the tremendous tank that was near Hill
                      Street
                      > south of Gloversville? It would look to be about 60' high and 50'
                      in
                      > diameter, next to the FJ&G main, but there does not look to be any
                      > siding near it. Blue, Black, Gray?
                      >
                      > Also is that really one of those New England style round barns to
                      the
                      > right of it in this photo:
                      >
                      > http://www.fjgrr.org/ROW2/ROW2-Pages/Image56.html
                      >
                      > Paul :-)
                    • Walt Danylak
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                        I don't recall seeing coal delivered to the 11th Avenue coalhouse. I
                        remember the whole structure being there but never with a hopper
                        inside. The structure was torn down in the mid 50s but not the
                        trestle. The trestle was used to unload cement for quite a while. I
                        guess the cement was used for the Route 30A by-pass. The coalhouse
                        siding was used all the time for box cars. My guess would be lumber
                        for Kingsboro Lumber Co.

                        Walt