Re: [FJGRailroad] TR at North Creek

  • psefton@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2000
      Aaron has most of the story, but there are 2 assasinations telescoped into 1
      here...

      The president shot by a disgruntled office seeker was James Garfield.
      Ironically this happened in the long-vanished Washington, DC Railroad depot
      which stood on the present day Capitol Mall. Chester A. Arthur, his
      successor and the father of the Civil Service, is a patron saint of we
      present day bureaucrats.

      The McKinley assasination took place a generation later in 1901. It occurred
      while McKinley was shaking hands at a Worlds Fair type exposition in
      Buffalo, and the assasain was a self-styled "anarchist" who had a pistol
      concealed in a bandaged hand. The shooting was actually filmed by an Edison
      cameraman. However, only nitrate film was available, and the McKinley clip
      disintegrated while in the hands of ( I believe) the National Archives.

      McKinley, a Civil War veteran, actually lived for about 2 weeks after the
      shooting. At one point he was thought to be out of danger, which is why TR
      felt free to go hunting. TR was tracked down in the woods when McKinley took
      a turn for the worse and dashed to North Creek station, where I believe
      learned he was going to be the next president.