Vail Mills Photo now up

  • Charles P Woolever
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 1999
      I've updated the photos on my site for the month of September.
      Included is a photo of Vail Mills. Remember, it's in the weeds and
      small so it's hard to see everything.

      Go to:

      http://ny.existingstations.com

      Click on the Photos icon on the left and the new photos will load in.
      Click on any thumbnail for a larger version.

      Charles
      Charles P. Woolever woolever@...
      http://ny.existingstations.com Existing Stations in NYS
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 1999
        Charles,

        The site looks fabulous! You have really spruced it up since the
        last time I saw it!!! Anyone who hasn't seen Charles site, I
        recomend that you go visit now...

        http://ny.existingstations.com

        Visit Gino's RailPage...
        Home of The F.J.G.R.R.
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos

        Join the FJG discussion list at ONELIST...
        http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/FJGRailroad/

        ----------

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 1999
          Just thought that I would also send Charles a pat on the back for an excellent
          site!

          Paul

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
            Reference the Vail Mills sation.

            The building at Perth, New York is most likely not from Vail Mills. There
            is a strong possibility it is a former trolley station, likely from the
            Amsterdam area. It was moved to Perth in 1949 from Amsterdam where it had
            served as a gas station from prior to 1935. It is one of the earliest gas
            stations from the area. If you're interested in a better picture, the brush
            has been removed from the building in the past couple of days. I may be able
            to provide pictures of the building in its earlier uses.

            I will track down more on its origin in the next few days keeping all
            advised.

            PKL.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
              Paul, et. al.,

              I don't have a copy of it here in college, the book "Trolleys Down the
              Mohawk Valley" shows some pictures of the old trolley stops. I'm not 100%
              certain of this, but I think one picture shows a trolley stop being used as
              a gas station... the book isn't well organized but a good check though it
              might reveal the picture if it exists.

              -Aaron

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
                A while ago we were having a discussion about slide, negative, and flatbed
                scanners.

                Here at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University,
                the photo department uses the following:

                Nikon LS-1000 35mm Film Scanners. These scan strip negatives and slides.
                I've ran them up to 3200 DPI with excellent results.

                We also use several HP ScanJet 4C models to scan prints and what-not. We
                don't use them as much as the negative scanners but they're still pretty
                good.

                If anyone is going to use negative and slide scanners, I like the LS-1000
                that I've used at Newhouse.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
                  There is a pic in there of the Rockton wye in 1956, but by that time the
                  building had been moved to Perth. I will try to get a couple of photos of
                  the building in its gas station days and endeavor to make the connection
                  with a particular location.

                  PKL