Re: [FJGRailroad] Knox Gelatin & Pilot plows

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      Paul, the traffic started almost immediately after the ramp was placed in
      mid January of 1963. How long it continued I do not know. It might answer
      the question to know the situation with the Glue Factory. It was in use
      while I was there in 65 but how long after I can't say. What the railroad
      did was take the north switch connecting the middle and the house tracks out
      and placed the ramp at the north end of the middle or house 2. By
      discontinuing the tracks north of the freight house another track was
      removed from the Fulton Street crossing - from four to one.

      The traffic wasn't glue but "glue stock," those remnants of the
      slaughternouse process that had no other use, all in a soupy mess.

      I think Canary Brothers near Vail Mills, may have unloaded a car or few of
      farm machinery using the ramp. They were a steady customer of the railroad
      over the years.

      PKL