Re: Gas Car

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999
      >So Aaron,
      >
      >The car went to Troy with hopes of getting work and then it just ended
      >up in this field? It never saw work again after the FJG?

      As I recall, the car left Gloversville for use on this salvage gang and
      never returned to the FJ&G. It was the last one to leave the FJ&G and it
      was trucked out.

      I'm not sure if the salvage gang ever used it or not. From what I recall of
      the article, the gang was just starting to form and I'm not sure if it ever
      got off the ground.

      My gut instinct tells me no, the car never saw other service, even on the
      salvage gang. But, you never know... anyone who might have information to
      show it being used elsewhere is welcome to disagree with me. I've never
      researched what became of those who purchased the car.

      -Aaron
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999
        So Aaron,

        The car went to Troy with hopes of getting work and then it just ended
        up in this field? It never saw work again after the FJG?

        Visit Gino's RailPage...
        Home of The F.J.G.R.R.
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos

        Join the FJG discussion list at ONELIST...
        http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/FJGRailroad/

        ----------

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
          Glenn W. Said:

          Randy and others can correct me, but if this is the same car I saw
          pictures of 3 years ago in Johnstown, you may have George
          Washington's hammer on your hands. You know, "the handle's been
          replaced six times and the head twice, but yes, it's George
          Washington's hammer." It was in really tough shape then, barely a
          frame with a semblence of a roof.

          Snow-wise, it's gone from ugly to nasty here in Cow Hampshire. There
          must be four inches now, for Concord just sent out the plows. . .

          Glenn

          Glenn,

          What is George Washington's Hammer?

          Gino DiCarlo
          ----------------------------------
          gdicarlo@...
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          x4276

        • Glenn Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
            --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
            wrote:
            > [snip]
            >
            > What is George Washington's Hammer?
            >
            > [snip]

            Gino,

            The story of George Washington's hammer, as I condensed it, is
            usually cited as a cautionary tale to demonstrate that what you are
            told something is may not be what it is.

            In the case of the gas car, as others have pointed out, the existing
            remains would form but a starting point.

            I was trying to be clever but ended up being obtuse. I gotta watch
            that.

            Glenn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
              I'm sorry Glenn, probably more of me being naive than you being obtuse!
              It was more you saying the car was near Johnstown than you using George
              Washington's hammer or is it axe?

              Gino DiCarlo
              gdicarlo@...
              Quad Imaging Saratoga