Fonda Station

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
      Hi All,

      I'm about to start the Fonda station and am looking at the three photos
      I've been able to get off the group. One shot makes me think that the
      short extension on the west end of the station is open underneath, like
      a big porch roof sort of thing... is this so?

      Also the building across Broad Street, the Colonial Restaurant, was this
      same structure once the Hotel Roy? I see at one time it had a full
      second floor compared to the story-and-a-half appearance in the '80s.
      Any idea when this chance took place?

      Paul :-)
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'm about to start the Fonda station
        > and am looking at the three photos
        > I've been able to get off the group.
        > One shot makes me think that the
        > short extension on the west end of
        > the station is open underneath, like
        > a big porch roof sort of thing... is
        > this so?
        >
        > Also the building across Broad Street,
        > the Colonial Restaurant, was this
        > same structure once the Hotel Roy?
        > I see at one time it had a full second
        > floor compared to the story-and-a-half
        > appearance in the '80s.
        > Any idea when this chance took place?
        >
        > Paul :-)

        Paul,

        The extension at the west end of the depot is indeed open
        underneath. It was just a portico under which were stored REA/mail
        wagons.

        The Colonial Restaurant was built at the same location as the Hotel
        Roy but long after the Roy burned in 1905. The building on the site
        in the 80s is a new one, the Colonial having burned some time before.

        Unfortunately, I don't have dates to go with this, so we will have to
        rely on the memories and archives of others [grin].

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
          Hi Glenn,

          Thanks! I suspect the photo I'm looking at has to be early '50s at the
          latest:

          http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oOfNQD-T6PLGAiYMKC7y5eZq3hNRpY8yBNpkk_zoV_mBn6889PFQT5XP7YzAxEW9Y0hfjooC-cEdbvqcA1RXPil_c7cDMmH8zPY/STRUCTURES/FONDA_DEPOT_1.jpg

          Shows the window pattern on the lower floor is the same at it was in the
          '80s, can't make out what type of car is just to the right of the signal
          bridge... looks like it's late '40s. Anyway, was really interested in
          the station information, thanks again.

          Just one more while we're here... The tower 16 addition to the top of
          the FJ&G station, was there a shallow pitched roof on that or was it a
          flat roof... looks flat from what I've seen but not 100% sure.

          Paul :-)

          Glenn J. Williams wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > The extension at the west end of the depot is indeed open
          > underneath. It was just a portico under which were stored REA/mail
          > wagons.
          >
          > The Colonial Restaurant was built at the same location as the Hotel
          > Roy but long after the Roy burned in 1905. The building on the site
          > in the 80s is a new one, the Colonial having burned some time before.
          >
          > Unfortunately, I don't have dates to go with this, so we will have to
          > rely on the memories and archives of others [grin].
          >
          > Glenn
        • Glenn J. Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
            wrote:
            > Hi Glenn,
            >
            > Thanks! I suspect the photo I'm looking
            > at has to be early '50s at the latest:
            >
            > http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oOfNQD-
            T6PLGAiYMKC7y5eZq3hNRpY8yBNpkk_zoV_mBn6889PFQT5XP7YzAxEW9Y0hfjooC-
            cEdbvqcA1RXPil_c7cDMmH8zPY/STRUCTURES/FONDA_DEPOT_1.jpg

            > Shows the window pattern on the lower
            > floor is the same at it was in the
            > '80s, can't make out what type of car
            > is just to the right of the signal
            > bridge... looks like it's late '40s.
            > Anyway, was really interested in
            > the station information, thanks again.
            >
            > Just one more while we're here...
            > The tower 16 addition to the top of
            > the FJ&G station, was there a shallow
            > pitched roof on that or was it a
            > flat roof... looks flat from what
            > I've seen but not 100% sure.
            >
            > Paul :-)

            Paul,

            The picture is from before 16 was moved to the depot, for the old
            signal bridge is still at the west end of the depot. That's a good
            view of the Colonial, by the way.

            The roof on new 16 was basically flat, with just enough slope to
            allow drainage.

            Glenn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
              Hi All,

              Can someone tell me what material was used on the main part of the Fonda
              station? It looks to me that it was smooth cut stone blocks, maybe some
              local marble or limestone, hard to tell from the few photos I have here.

              Colors appear to be light grey with dark grey trim?

              Any help would be appreciated.

              Paul :-)
            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > Can someone tell me what material was used on the main part of the Fonda
                > station? It looks to me that it was smooth cut stone blocks, maybe some
                > local marble or limestone, hard to tell from the few photos I have here.
                >
                > Colors appear to be light grey with dark grey trim?
                >
                > Any help would be appreciated.
                >
                > Paul :-)

                Paul,

                Common brick. Main body colour was more toward a cream than grey. I would have to dig
                into my slides to verify it.

                Glenn
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Hi Glenn or anyone for that matter,

                  Cream... any idea what the trim color was, I'm guessing it I thought
                  light grey, my idea of dark grey being the trim color is probably off as
                  well!

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Yes Glenn, that's my recollection too.  Color photo confirms a light yellow with what appears to be brown trim.  My thinking is the trim is actually maroo.

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: gjwilliams@...
                    Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:24:15 +0000
                    Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Station

                    --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@. ..> wrote:

                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > Can someone tell me what material was used on the main part of the Fonda
                    > station? It looks to me that it was smooth cut stone blocks, maybe some
                    > local marble or limestone, hard to tell from the few photos I have here.
                    >
                    > Colors appear to be light grey with dark grey trim?
                    >
                    > Any help would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Paul :-)

                    Paul,

                    Common brick. Main body colour was more toward a cream than grey. I would have to dig
                    into my slides to verify it.

                    Glenn

                    Change is good. See what's different about Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
                      Hi Paul and Glenn,

                      That would make it pretty much the same colors as NYC's freight office
                      was into the seventies.

                      Thanks for the help,

                      Paul :-)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
                        My photo is from the early fifties and the paint looks new.  The trim color will match better if there is an N on the end.  On the other hand - maybe that's what Wagner brown actually looks like.

                        PKL

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        From: p.charlie@...
                        Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 06:31:39 -0400
                        Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Station

                        Paul Larner wrote:
                        > Yes Glenn, that's my recollection too. Color photo confirms a light
                        > yellow with what appears to be brown trim. My thinking is the trim
                        > is actually maroo.
                        >
                        > PKL
                        >

                        > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. comFrom: gjwilliams@mac. comDate: Sat, 2
                        > Jun 2007 22:24:15 +0000Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Station
                        >

                        > --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@. ..>
                        > wrote:>> Hi All,> > Can someone tell me what material was used on the
                        > main part of the Fonda > station? It looks to me that it was smooth
                        > cut stone blocks, maybe some > local marble or limestone, hard to
                        > tell from the few photos I have here.> > Colors appear to be light
                        > grey with dark grey trim?> > Any help would be appreciated. > > Paul
                        > :-)>Paul,Common brick. Main body colour was more toward a cream than
                        > grey. I would have to dig into my slides to verify it.Glenn

                        > With Windows Live Hotmail, you can personalize your inbox with your
                        > favorite color.
                        > www.windowslive- hotmail.com/ learnmore/ personalize. html?locale= en-us&ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ HMWL_reten_ addcolor_ 0607

                        Make every IM count. Download Windows Live Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free.  Make it count!