Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda... NYC Sygnals

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12 11:30 PM
      Glenn,

      Weren't the two signal bridges you referred to put up at the time the old
      tower 16 was closed and the interlocking plant at Fonda removed (along with
      the station work and the work at FE and FW)? Wasn't that Fonda interlocking
      in place into the early fifties and included the junction switch for the
      FJ&G and it governing home signal off the FJ&G? Have some photos of that
      signal too but will be a while before I get back into the computer after
      tonight. Vacation and no black box will be with me.

      PKL

      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda... NYC Sygnals
      >Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:45:00 -0400
      >
      >Hi Glenn,
      >
      >Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to keep this for later use.
      >
      >Paul :-)
      >
      >Glenn J. Williams wrote:
      >
      > > The signal bridge just west of the overpass had two signals, covering
      > > the two eastbound tracks (1 and 4). The signal bridge just east of
      > > Center Street was for the two westbound tracks (2 and 3).
      > >
      > > The signal bridge by the depot was the former westbound one, removed
      > > when Center Street went up.
      > >
      > > Remember, the tracks were numbered, going from south to north, 2-1-3-
      > > 4.
      > >
      > > It used to be that the two southern most tracks, 2 and 1, were for
      > > passenger service, westbound and eastbound, respectively. The two
      > > northern most tracks, 3 and 4, were for freights, westbound and
      > > eastbound, respectively.
      > >
      > > This usage pretty much went away when FW and FE interlockings were
      > > opened, for trains could run on any track without being stuck to that
      > > assignment indefinitely.
      > >
      > > And all this went out the window with the introduction of CTC.

    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 13 9:29 AM
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
        wrote:
        > Glenn,
        >
        > Weren't the two signal bridges you referred to put up at the time
        the old
        > tower 16 was closed and the interlocking plant at Fonda removed
        (along with
        > the station work and the work at FE and FW)? Wasn't that Fonda
        interlocking
        > in place into the early fifties and included the junction switch
        for the
        > FJ&G and it governing home signal off the FJ&G? Have some photos
        of that
        > signal too but will be a while before I get back into the computer
        after
        > tonight. Vacation and no black box will be with me.
        >
        > PKL

        Paul,

        The best I can say is a qualified "yes" to the first question, for
        the dates involved are fuzzy in my mind. It does make sense, though,
        given all the changes going on then.

        As to the second, that's also a "yes," although I recall the FJ&G
        junction switch as being manual. Jim Shaughnessy has a picture of a
        crewman walking to throw it, with #20 or #21 waiting patiently. I
        don't recall a home signal on the FJ&G trackage but that may be
        because it probably just didn't grab my attention in those days.

        There was a lot of movement of switches at that time on the NYC right
        by the depot. One picture you provided me from Dave Nestle's
        collection from 1951 (before 16 moved to the depot) shows an
        arrangement that I simply do not recall.

        Whilst you are on vacation, I shall cogitate on this further (grin).

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 13 1:44 PM
          Glenn, My personal exposure to the junction switch was as a hand throw on
          the east side of Broadway. I recalled a fan trip photo showing the signal
          but on checking, it is the 1946 excursion and not one of those in the
          fifties. The FJ&G signal is a two aspect semaphore. In my picture at
          Fonda, of the 1954 Cap Dist fan trip, I am unable to determine if the signal
          is still there but it appears not to be, though may be just out of sight.

          I know somewhere I have info about the closing of the old tower and opening
          of the new one but couldn't put my fingers on it.

          448 is real late today (almost 8 hours) so I am able to sit here while
          waiting and catch up a bit.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 13 3:38 PM
            Glenn,

            I'm still waiting for my train so I looked a few more places. I have a
            photo of the 1950 Cap. Dist Excursion at the Fonda station and the FJ&G home
            signal is in service at that time.

            PKL

            >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda... NYC Sygnals
            >Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:29:07 -0000
            >
            >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
            >wrote:
            > > Glenn,
            > >
            > > Weren't the two signal bridges you referred to put up at the time
            >the old
            > > tower 16 was closed and the interlocking plant at Fonda removed
            >(along with
            > > the station work and the work at FE and FW)? Wasn't that Fonda
            >interlocking
            > > in place into the early fifties and included the junction switch
            >for the
            > > FJ&G and it governing home signal off the FJ&G? Have some photos
            >of that
            > > signal too but will be a while before I get back into the computer
            >after
            > > tonight. Vacation and no black box will be with me.
            > >
            > > PKL
            > >

            >Paul,
            >
            >The best I can say is a qualified "yes" to the first question, for
            >the dates involved are fuzzy in my mind. It does make sense, though,
            >given all the changes going on then.
            >
            >As to the second, that's also a "yes," although I recall the FJ&G
            >junction switch as being manual. Jim Shaughnessy has a picture of a
            >crewman walking to throw it, with #20 or #21 waiting patiently. I
            >don't recall a home signal on the FJ&G trackage but that may be
            >because it probably just didn't grab my attention in those days.
            >
            >There was a lot of movement of switches at that time on the NYC right
            >by the depot. One picture you provided me from Dave Nestle's
            >collection from 1951 (before 16 moved to the depot) shows an
            >arrangement that I simply do not recall.
            >
            >Whilst you are on vacation, I shall cogitate on this further (grin).
            >
            > Glenn

          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 16 10:36 AM
              This is a correction to message 10171, wherein I got messed up as to
              which passenger track was westbound and which track was eastbound.

              Here it is, again, corrected:

              "The signal bridge just west of the overpass had two signals, covering
              the two eastbound tracks (2 and 4). The signal bridge just east of
              Center Street was for the two westbound tracks (1 and 3).

              "The signal bridge by the depot was the former westbound one, removed
              when Center Street went up.

              "Remember, the tracks were numbered, going from south to north, 2-1-3-
              4.

              "It used to be that the two southern most tracks, 2 and 1, were for
              passenger service, eastbound and westbound, respectively. The two
              northern most tracks, 3 and 4, were for freights, westbound and
              eastbound, respectively.

              "This usage pretty much went away when FW and FE interlockings were
              opened, for trains could run on any track without being stuck to that
              assignment indefinitely.

              "And all this went out the window with the introduction of CTC."

              I apologize if this has caused anyone confusion.

              Once again, I have proven that I don't know east from west. I blame
              all this on my father, who has no sense of direction whatsoever. He
              in turn blames it on his mother, who he maintains was scared by a
              runaway gyrocompass whilst carrying him. . .

              Glenn
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 16 11:58 AM
                Hi Glenn,

                Thanks for this, I was a little confused the first time around!

                Paul :-)