Virtual FJG

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hi guys,

      In case you didn't understand what Glenn was talking about, there's a new page
      at FJGRR.ORG. It is "The Virtual FJ&G" and is all about the 3D computer modeling
      that Paul Charland is working on. Yes, this is why he's asking all the questions,
      but don't forget. That's what this list is for...QUESTIONS!!! No matter what the
      reason is.

      Paul has a great thing going for people who'd like to model the FJG (or any line
      for that matter) and don't have the space. You can do it on your PC and build it just
      like the real thing. The program has a demo version that lets you play with it all you
      want (No Saves) and Paul is generous enough to send me the equipment he's created.
      And it's not just the FJ&G. He's got CPR equipment, Boston & Maine, New York Central
      and Rutland. He's also built a spectacular layout of the CV's Winooski Sub. I like
      running a CPR GP-38 through that. He's even got PC boxcars that I'll string about
      20 on to an FJG S2 and just watch it cruise through the scenery!!!

      If you'd like to ask Paul more about this and how you can do the same, please
      feel free to post it to the group. That way I can learn more about it!

      Gino
      Group Moderator

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
    • stevefjg30
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 10, 2004
        Gino or Paul C,Where do you go to run trains on this?Looks like
        fun .Paul the layout looks
        great!!!!!!!!!

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 10, 2004
          Hi Steve,

          First you goto:

          http://www.trackplanning.com/

          Near the bottom there is a link for the demo just about the Contact
          Information header. This version should be changing in a few days to a
          much improved version. This demo is free and fully functional except it
          will not allow you to save anything.... but... you will be able to run
          trains on any layout, switch cars, even draw, you just wont be able to
          save changes to the layout or save drawing you create.

          I can e-mail you a version of the current layout in a version that will
          work with the current demo... or maybe zip up a file and place it in the
          group files, it would be about 800 KB zipped. Once then next version of
          the demo is out maybe Gino can put the motive power file on his sit and
          people can download it from there, along with the "current" layout and
          eventually the finished layout.

          Rattle my cage when you want the zip file.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 12, 2004
            Does the Winooski Sub. have the ten mile an hour slow orders or can you run
            it a the advertised 25 mph? Does the simulation consider the grade?

            PKL

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2004
              Hi Paul,

              The line does have the grade and I've never had a car go on the floor
              when running at 25 mph!

              No... the program is a tool to draw layouts and not a simulator like the
              MicroSoft program so it make no difference to 3PI if you are running up
              a grade or on level track... but... the throttle is calibrated and shows
              the speed you are traveling, so you can observe speed limits and
              restrictions.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
                Hi guys,

                Progress shots of Paul Charland's Virtual-FJG Layout have been posted to FJGRR.org.
                There's a great shot of the High Bridge and of the 340 at Fonda Station. Go check them
                out...

                Gino

                Gino DiCarlo
                Imaging

                Quad/Imaging
                A Division of Quad/Graphics

                Saratoga Springs, New York

                518-581-4276 phone
                gino.dicarlo@...
                www.QG.com
              • Gino DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                  Hi guys,

                  I have posted pictures of Paul Charland's virtual FJG Cabeese to the
                  Virtual FJG page.
                  They look awesome! Go check them out at www.fjgrr.org

                  Gino

                  Visit Gino's Railpages at

                  http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                  http://fjgrr.org
                • Gino DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 14, 2004
                    Hi guys,

                    Paul Charland has been hard at work on the virtual FJ&G. I have
                    exported some new pictures of the layout.
                    If you'd like to see these additions, click this link...

                    http://fjgrr.org/virtual/railpage43.html

                    Enjoy!

                    Gino

                    Visit Gino's Railpages at

                    http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                    http://fjgrr.org
                  • stevefjg30
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 15, 2004
                      Paul the rairoad looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      I love Surpass Tannery Your doing a great job!!!!!

                      Steve L

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino DiCarlo <GDICARLO1@n...>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 16, 2004
                        Thanks Steve,

                        Paul :-)

                        stevefjg30 wrote:
                        > Paul the rairoad looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        > I love Surpass Tannery Your doing a great job!!!!!
                        >
                        > Steve L
                      • b_michael_berger
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 18, 2004
                          Quite amazing - one of these days we'll probably be able to board a
                          trolly or hop on #21, and take a ride down Fulton Street. I won't be
                          surprised if all the store fronts are complete and accurate.

                          My "new" #21 is in final painting - decals and all.

                          Cheers

                          Mike Berger
                          (Vienna, VA)
                        • Gino DiCarlo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 18, 2004
                            Mike,

                            Make sure you show us the results!

                            Gino

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 18, 2004
                              You have mail at your Yahoo account!

                              Paul :-)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 18, 2004
                                Hi Mike,

                                You could do this now but it would require taking pictures of each
                                window, convert them into a texture and apply them to the 3PI structure.
                                This really increase the size of the file and reduces the frame rates.
                                Even adding windows and doors to structures eats up frame rate, I was
                                really enthusiastic when I first started drawing my own structures I
                                draw the car barn for the Springfield Terminal (electric) with full
                                framing, windows with mullions, and detailed roof trusses in the barn,
                                sucked the life out of my old video card. The layout was HO and only a
                                4 X 8' "L" shape and was down to .2 frames per second!

                                Paul :-)

                                b_michael_berger wrote:
                                > Quite amazing - one of these days we'll probably be able to board a
                                > trolly or hop on #21, and take a ride down Fulton Street. I won't be
                                > surprised if all the store fronts are complete and accurate.
                                >
                                > My "new" #21 is in final painting - decals and all.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                >
                                > Mike Berger
                                > (Vienna, VA)
                              • b_michael_berger
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 26, 2004
                                  You are right, of course - but wouldn't it be a hoot to see it. My
                                  grandfather (then my uncle) owned Berger Leather - a three-story
                                  building on S Fulton full of incredibly toxic chemicals. Luckily I
                                  wasn't born or brought up there so I only breathed it on occasion.
                                  I'm thinking of putting that name on one of the buildings on my HO
                                  layout.

                                  Mike
                                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi Mike,
                                  >
                                  > You could do this now but it would require taking pictures of each
                                  > window, convert them into a texture and apply them to the 3PI
                                  structure.
                                  > This really increase the size of the file and reduces the frame
                                  rates.
                                  > Even adding windows and doors to structures eats up frame rate, I
                                  was
                                  > really enthusiastic when I first started drawing my own structures
                                  > draw the car barn for the Springfield Terminal (electric) with full
                                  > framing, windows with mullions, and detailed roof trusses in the
                                  barn,
                                  > sucked the life out of my old video card. The layout was HO and
                                  only a
                                  > 4 X 8' "L" shape and was down to .2 frames per second!
                                  >
                                  > Paul :-)
                                  >
                                  > b_michael_berger wrote:
                                  > > Quite amazing - one of these days we'll probably be able to board
                                  > > trolly or hop on #21, and take a ride down Fulton Street. I won't
                                  be
                                  > > surprised if all the store fronts are complete and accurate.
                                  > >
                                  > > My "new" #21 is in final painting - decals and all.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > >
                                  > > Mike Berger
                                  > > (Vienna, VA)
                                • b_michael_berger
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 26, 2004
                                    Will do - hope to pick it up in the next week or so.